First trip with baby can be quite stressful especially when you travelling by plane. We didn’t know what we can expect and how our baby will react for e.g when the cabin pressure will change. Plus we was driving on airport about 3 am. Fortunately our LP is a lovely baby and he (I hope) love travelling the same as his parents.
First of all before you start planning you journey check which airports are family friendly. What does it mean? They should have dedicated family security lanes, kids zones (play areas), restaurants with children’s menu and high chairs, baby changing facilities. After choosing right airport you need to consider what to do with baby’s milk. Especially when you are not breastfeeding. Good news is that you can take it as much as you need (you can skip 100 ml rule). However they can ask you to try it to be sure that you don’t have arsenic [ 🙂 ] in a baby bottle. The best idea is to pre-order cartons of baby milk and take it from store after security check.
When we travel with infant we can take 1 bag for babies accessories and it can weight 5 kg. I need t say it made my life a little bit easier. It’s hard to pack everything only in one suitcase. Good idea is to ask if you can send your hand luggage to the cargo hold. You will spend maybe 10-15 minutes more on airport after arrival but you will have free hands. As you know is very important when you need to take care of baby [if your baby start walking probably you will need 2 pair of hands:D].
Worth to know that almost all planes have changing unit on board. If you will need hot water for milk don’t hesitate to ask stewardess.If your baby is not 2 years old you will pay about 90% less for his ticket. Although he need to share seat with you. If you taking pram you will not need to pay for it. What’s really useful you can take one extra baby accessories like car seat or travel cot.
You can prepare a list what you must have on board. I have one for you which you can use 🙂
- think about dummy or something what your baby can suck. Or you can have bottle with water/milk and when plane will landing give it to baby to swallow.
- You need to remember about your baby’s favourites toys, cuddles etc. Our son most of the flight was sleeping but older babies probably will be more interesting to play. Then you should pack crayons, colouring books, story book
- worth to have something new what baby didn’t see before- hopefully it will take his attention
- always remember about extra clothes for your little one and take a blanket with you because it’s quiet cold on board.
- for older kids take some juice, sandwiches, fruits and favourite sweets.
On the end I would like to say that the most funniest was (for us) when people were surprised that such a little baby is ready for flying. I don’t see anything strange in it because if baby is with parents he will feel everywhere like at home:) Even if your sweetheart will be stressed in that new situation remember that your arms are the most comfortable place to be.
If you have any question please feel free to ask in comments:)