Colic and other nightmares

Every parents know exactly what colic means. If by some Miracle you don’t know what it is I hasten to explain it. Colic is uncontrollable, excessive, frequent crying in an otherwise healthy baby. It’s a common problem that affects up to one in five babies. Colic most often shows up when a baby is two or three weeks old. It’s REALLY a tough thing to go through for babies and their parents. I hope you are lucky and don’t have problems like that.

When my boy was two weeks he started crying every night so badly that I was crying with him. As a new Mum I was frightened. Of course I knew that baby can has colic but I thought that was too soon for it. I asked my HV what it can be. She was very confident when she mentioned about colic. She advised me to buy special milk or drops. I didn’t want to watch my baby in such a horrible pain so I bought both. LP was farting very bad and the smell was awful after that. But I thought that it was helping.

colic

Although all symptoms didn’t vanish so I started to looking for orther solutions. Especially that I had feeling that it wasn’t colic. Why? When baby has colic he is crying all the time and it’s hard to sooth him. When LP was crying and I was giving him toys or showing him something he was calm. We was trying everything what was invented for colics and it didn’t help.

I decided to read some books, do research in Internet and I found some information about night whining. Some babies need to moan a little bit before sleep if during a day they had too many impressions. It can be new toy, new person, too long trip etc. In that case you need to be close to your baby to make him feel safe. After a while baby should be ready to sleep.

With our son was different problem. Obviously as a new Mum I didn’t know that babies love routine. Yes they do. REALLY. For the first weeks we didn’t bother of taking him to bath about regular hour. Sometimes it was 8 pm, 9pm and after that our lovely son started crying, crying and crying. Why? Because he was f*cking tired and he couldn’t fall asleep. When I decided to do everything about the same time (every day) everything changed. Our baby was again happy and he didn’t have problem with sleeping in his own bed.

Remember that when baby is crying every night it doesn’t need to mean that he has colic. Listen to your own intuition. Healt Visitor is not spending every day with your baby and he can give you wrong diagnosis. To help your little one try everything what you can. As a new Mum you can do mistakes because you shouldn’t know everything.

Hot Pink Wellingtons

Life Loving Linkie

The SHINE Blog Hop
Mummy Fever - Share With Me

• Reply Hayley Mclean

Some great advice here!! Definitely follow your own instincts #SharingTheBlogLove x

9 September 2016 at 13:55
  • Reply Life Loving

Some great advice here. You know your baby better than everyone, but it’s good to get some advice too. Glad your little one is happier now. I bet that is a massive relief.

Sally @ Life Loving
    #LifeLovingLinkie

11 September 2016 at 19:52

oh yes it is:)

11 September 2016 at 20:17
  • Reply Laura - dear bear and beany

I can’t imagine what that must be like. I definitely learnt over time that I knew my baby better than anyone and that I shouldn’t doubt my own instincts. I think once you get to this point, you believe in yourself more and more because you are normally right. I’m pleased to hear they are ok now. Thank you for joining us at #SharingtheBlogLove x

13 September 2016 at 19:08
  • Reply Katy - Hot Pink Wellingtons

This is such great advice. I actually had very similar issues with my little boy – he didn’t seem to ever be able to get himself to sleep in those early days, especially during the day – bizarrely he was better at night! I remember hearing about how ‘all newborns sleep’, and thinking ‘what’s wrong with mine?’ I brought it up with my Health Visitor who told me to ‘just enjoy him in the morning while he’s happy’ – he would start the crying around 10am! At around 14 weeks I decided enough was enough and we kept ourselves inside the house for two weeks while I watched like a hawk for the slightest sign of tiredness and then we decamped to the bedroom (blackout blinds, white noise, swaddling, patting – the works!). After two weeks he finally did get the message and the crying definitely eased. I really do think we need to trust our instincts more. Thanks so much for joining us at #SharingtheBlogLove

13 September 2016 at 20:25

My little one even know is crying sometimes if he cant sleep during a day but is much better. I prefer that than giving him medications etc

14 September 2016 at 12:43
  • Reply Fiona Cambouropoulos

I feel very lucky that none of mine suffered with colic, I know friends whose babies did and it was such hard work for everyone. #sharewithme

15 September 2016 at 10:28

Yes it is :/ I’m really grateful that I was manage to discovere what was it

15 September 2016 at 10:33
  • Reply Emma T

Thankfully N was always a good easy sleeper, I was big on routines from the start, and he ate well. He did have mild reflux though, so we had to put him to sleep on his side at first at night after milk. It didn’t last long thankfully.

15 September 2016 at 14:06
  • Reply Anna Elizabeth

Love this post! I am not yet a mommy but, I found it very informative ๐Ÿ™‚

xo Anna Elizabeth

17 September 2016 at 14:23
  • Reply Mummy Fever

Oh yes, I remember those days, not great and hard work but you do come out the other side. Thanks for linking to #sharewithme

18 September 2016 at 09:39