Mummy please be careful! Germs are everywhere!

Ok so you are starting cooking something for a dinner and you are noticing that you don’t have…a salt. What are you doing? Obviously you are going to shop. And don’t forget about your baby. Of course you are taking him with you. What every Mum is doing in supermarket with her little one? Yes you are putting him in trolley seat. And you know what I want to say? Shame on you. YES! Shame on you, me and every Mummy who is using that seats without any blanket or at least wiping it.

Using baby’s seat in trolley is so…natural that we don’t expect that it can be very dangerous. To be honest I don’t use them because bigger shopping I’m doing with my hubby and we can leave LP with his granny. But I would never think that it can…harm a baby.

When I read Vivienne Wardrop story I was in shock. It’s so strange how doing a quick shop can change a life. If you don’t know what happened to her and her lovely 10 months old son I hasten to explain. Her little one caught adenovirus, rotavirus and salmonella poisoning which she believed came from him after touching the supermarket trolley handle and putting his hands in his mouth. How she know that’s because of her visit in supermarket? She hadn’t been anywhere with him in a week, so doctors advised that’s the only place he could have got it. Besides she noticed that baby was sick the following day when he woke up crying uncontrollably. He had temperatures of 39 C and he vomited.

That’s what happen with that poor baby

germ

virus

Vivienne said that she took Logan to a doctor who said he needed plenty of rest and fluids! Can you believe? It’s so scary to take a baby to a doctor:/ I have feelings that they always will say ‘it’s normal’. Unfortunately baby was still sick the next morning, so his Mummy took him to the hospital where he was admitted immediately.
If you want to read mote about all situation you can pop in on Vivienne facebook profile here

When I need to change LP’s nappy I always have my changing mat or at least I’m trying to put some paper on changing unit. You know on the end it’s a toilet. So it’s a place where definitely germs can occur. But I would never have in my mind that my baby can get some serious illness from trolley seat. So please if your baby’s health is important for you take with you wipes which can kill most of germs and wipe everything what he can touch.

Let me know in comments if you ever thought that you can harm your baby taking him for shopping?

My Random Musings
Tammymum
3 Little Buttons
Reflectionsfromme
Mummy Fever - Share With Me

• Reply Sunita - Lucky Things Blog

Yes it’s not nice knowing what germs could be out there. Bambella Designs do nice shopping trolley cushions which are washable. Always a good idea to leave a blanket in the car boot for supermarket visits #BloggerClubUK

5 October 2016 at 21:31
  • Reply upasna

Thanks for sharing this. I never thought it can be that scary. #FamilyFun

6 October 2016 at 12:29
  • Reply Rebecca Cale

It’s not something you think about is it? My daughter caught HIB meningitis at 4 months old. When I asked how? Doctors explained she could’ve caught it anywhere or from anyone. They words were ‘even in a supermarket’. In a healthy adult the germs manifests it’s self as a cold and runny nose but in a young baby or someone a weak immune system it can lead to more serious complications. In my daughter it was Meningitis. She thankfully did recover but it bought out the OCD in me and I carry wipes everywhere and use our sleeves or other clothing to open door handles even my children do it. Get well wishes to Logan.

6 October 2016 at 12:41

Thank you sharing your story. Is really important to realize how simple things can be dangerous for little ones

6 October 2016 at 12:44
  • Reply Meg

Terrifying! But I suppose you can’t stop going out – you just have to be really careful with hygiene. I worry about taking newborns to toddler groups for this reason. #dreamteam

6 October 2016 at 13:04

OH wow, how scary! Obviously I’ll still go out, but I always try to wash hands and have my kids wash their hands.

6 October 2016 at 20:41
  • Reply Tina

Omg that’s so sad. Poor baby. Seriously how much can you stop? What can anyone do in here? BTW do you guys get rota virus vaccine? I got my bub vaccinated for other.

6 October 2016 at 20:44

Yes I get that vaccine I think it’s very important to do that

6 October 2016 at 20:47
  • Reply Laura

This is a sad story, but sometimes over sanitising is the cause. You can’t be afraid of the world.

6 October 2016 at 22:29
  • Reply Crystal Gard

I absolutely hate grocery carts , but it actually doesn’t surprise me about how dangerous it could be. I found this great accessory at wal mart that covers the entire cart seat

7 October 2016 at 01:02

Yes I think every Mum should have something like that

7 October 2016 at 09:59
  • Reply katrinajeancarter

Wow…Thanks for shedding light on this issue! I never would think this would happen but after I read her story, it is very much possible! We should definitely take caution even without a baby but more so with them!

7 October 2016 at 02:16
  • Reply Daniel

Wow, that was a shocker. Thanks for letting us know.

7 October 2016 at 04:03
  • Reply Ileana

This is so terrible!!! I do not have kids, but I’m kind of a germ freak… do not know how I will do once I have kids!

7 October 2016 at 04:54

Don’t worry be sure you have some wipes with you and will be fine

7 October 2016 at 09:59
  • Reply DT

Oh that’s really scary.. and sad.. I hope he feels better now..

— DT | Here I Scribble

7 October 2016 at 07:45
  • Reply Carol Cassara

That’s alarming and traumatizing for both the mom and the baby. My heart goes out to them. You can never tell what’s going to happen so you really have to take the necessary precautions.

7 October 2016 at 09:06

Yes that’s right! I have with me wipes and blanket:)

7 October 2016 at 10:00
  • Reply Elizabeth O.

That was scary. I used to be so paranoid when the twins arrived as well. I would go into hyper cleaning mode and just clean everything that they might get their hands on especially when they were teething!

7 October 2016 at 09:59

Same here but also I try to not overreacting because babies need some natural bacterias as well:)

7 October 2016 at 10:03
  • Reply victoria

That was so sad and at the same time it’s a scary story, I hope he is good now

7 October 2016 at 11:26
  • Reply Annette, 3 Little Buttons

Oh! This had not even occurred to me. I am going to shamefully admit to carrying wipes everywhere with me when LB was teeny. I remember wiping trolley bars and especially highchairs when eating out. But that was more because I couldn’t stand LB managing to eat someone’s icky stuff left behind by accident. Thank you for sharing with the #DreamTeam.

7 October 2016 at 15:27
  • Reply Glenda

I so agree it is so dangerous putting toddlers on a shopping cart. I’m OCD when it comes to germs and I think I passed it over to my middle child. My hands are so dry because I am constantly washing my hands. What bothers me the most is when I see parents giving their children food while they are sitting on the shopping carts and holding onto the handles. Didn’t anyone teach these parents germs are everywhere?!?

7 October 2016 at 16:31
  • Reply Annie

I hate shopping carts, they look dirty and most of them are broken anyway… So I always attempt to carry all my groceries in my hands what often looks ridiculous.
    Also, it’s horrible what happened to that kid, but on the other hand (I’m saying this because I spotted some comments with people freaking out and will now try to hysterically clean their kids and keep them clean). Please don’t over do with “keeping your kid clean and away from germs”, yeah they can get sick in some cases but they also need to get in contact with some bacteria or they will have some serious problems with the immune system and allergies further on.

7 October 2016 at 20:02

Yes I agree I just wipe thinks like changing unit or something like that in supermarkets but if my baby soother is on the floor in out house I just picking it up and putting to his mouth

7 October 2016 at 20:41
  • Reply Mackenzie Glanville

oh gosh that is just terrifying! I had never heard of someone getting so sick from a trolley, it’s so sad! I am always a bit of a germ freak and have hand sanitiser in my purse and wipes on hand, but still it is scary #mg

8 October 2016 at 04:39
  • Reply Ourfamilyworld

I heard this too and it breaks my heart. We should be really extra careful with our kids.

8 October 2016 at 05:35
  • Reply Tammymum

My mother in law told me about this story the other day and I was shocked. I always put my kids in the trollys but then I have to as one can’t walk and the other would run off. I will however definetly be taking my and using my wipes from now on. That poor baby, it must have been horrendous for him and the family. Thank you for sharing with us at #familyfun

8 October 2016 at 08:06
  • Reply Haleybop

I heard about this, and about the little baby who got kissed by someone with a cold sore and got very sick and almost died. We forget that babies have ZERO immune system.

8 October 2016 at 16:18

Oh my that’s sad:(

8 October 2016 at 19:47
  • Reply Claudette Esterine

My heart hurt the first time I read this story. It is important information to get out there.

8 October 2016 at 17:28
  • Reply CJ from Thirty30Courtney

I think it’s a matter of health for everyone. I ride public transportation to work so I’ve become more conscious of germs around me but I definitely agree that we should protect our children as they cannot defend themselves yet.

8 October 2016 at 18:31
  • Reply Karen | TwoTinyHands

Nope never thought about this before. We’ve had a sickness bug today and it’s rubbish seeing him ill. Thankfully we are okay. Thanks for linking up to #familyfun

8 October 2016 at 20:25
  • Reply Kari (Happy Coconuts Travel Blog)

That is so scary and a good warning to the rest of us

8 October 2016 at 22:13
  • Reply Shanti from Sincerely Shanti

So scary! Thank you for sharing this.

8 October 2016 at 22:55
  • Reply Rita

This is sad and scary. Poor baby! We need to be extra careful.
    Rita | http://www.styleroundtheclock.com

8 October 2016 at 23:40
  • Reply Holly

Wow! What a sobering post! You are totally right. You’re in the midst of doing all the things you need to do and sometimes you forget something that seems so harmless at the time when really it’s a danger!

8 October 2016 at 23:47
  • Reply Leslie

I just took that off our registry because hubby and I discussed that I would shop without baby. Now with more reason to leave baby at home!

9 October 2016 at 00:54
  • Reply Melanie R Grosjean

That’s a sad story I guess we can’t be too careful!

9 October 2016 at 06:40
  • Reply Cricket Plunkett

This must have been scary, thank you for sharing your story

9 October 2016 at 15:25
  • Reply Mummy Fever

It’s terrifying really isn’t it – thanks you for sharing on #sharewithme and raising awareness

9 October 2016 at 21:30
  • Reply Jill Wiley

That is incredibly scary!

9 October 2016 at 21:45
  • Reply Laura

Not a fun experience. Praying the baby has recovered. I had a seat and handle cover that I received as a gift for my 3rd baby. I loved it not only because it was more sanitary, but it was also a much more comfortable ride for my baby.

9 October 2016 at 22:40
  • Reply Ashley Voicu

I would understand every mom who protect their little ones such as for germs. Some people call other moms too dramatic. I dont care. I want to make sure things are sanitize before using other things for my kids. As much as possible, inwoukd not even touch it and would rather bring my own.

9 October 2016 at 22:42
  • Reply Heather

That is so scary! I honestly was very worried about germs with all of my kids when they were little – I didn’t like taking them to those places that are germy.

10 October 2016 at 00:28
  • Reply Shelby Bromley

I always wipe the cart down but I’ve caught my one year old licking the cart! I really need to buy a cover.

10 October 2016 at 01:20
  • Reply Sondra Barker

What an awful story, that woman’s poor little guy! I’m glad you’re advising parents to be aware of Supermarket germs! I remember growing up, my mom would always pull out her anti-bac wipes from her bag and wipe down the handles and the baby seat every single time we went to the shops and I didn’t appreciate it then, but I definitely do now.

10 October 2016 at 07:36

Good for Grandma:)

10 October 2016 at 13:30
  • Reply Ben

I’m overly alert of germs. I carry Babyganics hand sanitizer nearly all the time.

10 October 2016 at 14:53
  • Reply Janine Good

Germs are terrible. Some our systems need to adapt to, but others are just plain terrible. This is a great piece in alerting us to truly be careful.

10 October 2016 at 16:16
  • Reply lex

Sanitizers all the way for me, germs create ven more problems than we care to know.

10 October 2016 at 16:49
  • Reply Sheila Jo

Wishing the baby a speedy recovery! The washable cushions Sunita mentioned sound interesting.

10 October 2016 at 20:39
  • Reply michenn

This was so surprising! Thank you so much for sharing!

11 October 2016 at 00:04
  • Reply Idriss

Ugh germs …. Poor little baby. Great post

11 October 2016 at 22:28
  • Reply Tiffany VanSickle

When my boys were babies I paid much more attention to those kinds of things since their hands were going in their mouths. Now they are 5 and 9 so it’s less of a worry. Plus we teach them to wash their hands after playing outside, coming home from somewhere, and going to the bathroom.

12 October 2016 at 05:19
  • Reply Jessica Harlow

It’s scary to think that something you can’t even see can have such drastic effects on our health! It’s really smart to be aware of some of the potential places to watch out for!

13 October 2016 at 14:26