10 questions You Should Never ask a (New) Mom

You may also like...

37 Responses

1. Oh yes I have heard a few of those. I think sometimes people just don’t really know what to say and then end up putting their foot in it. But I wouldn’t answer personal questions either. Thank you for linking up to #EatSleepBlogRT

2. Ky says:

Yep definitely heard most, if not all of them afterwards. Some of them are so personal I wouldn’t dream of asking anyone them but for some reason people think it’s fine to ask a new mum. #dreamteam

3. Dad says:

Thanks for sharing this. Even as the dad I had to face some of these questions. Perhaps we need to think of a list of 10 questions to ask new parents. I’d nominate “can I bring you food?” as number 1! #EatSleepBlogRT

4. I hate these questions. I usually ended up crafting some sarcastic witty remark in my head then smiled and gave a ‘nice’ reply instead lol people are so nosey sometimes #kcacols

5. I can see why these questions would bother you, they’re so personal and intrusive! x #KCACOLS

6. Lol. So true. I’m always shocked the the fact that people think it’s ok to ask massively inappropriate questions just because a) you are pregnant or b) you’ve just had a baby. This list is bang on too! #KCACOLS

7. I totally agree with you. People are so nosey. It’s none of their business how much weight you gained or whether you plan to have more children. Jeez… #KCACOLS

8. Josefine says:

Yup I’ve been asked every single one of those, and most of them where close to strangers to me!!! But I guess people just can’t help themselves. #familyfun

9. Are you tired! HA! My kids are 8 & 11 and I’m still tired! It’s been a long time but I’m thinking I was asked every question.

10. Amber Myers says:

I agree with these. I hate the “Are you tired?” question. Well, duh!

11. This resonates with me so much, I hear nearly all these questions all the time and I just want to scream .#KCACOLS

12. Oh my gosh people are so nosey. As soon as my husband and I got married everyone was asking when are we going to have kids. It’s so rediculous. Who cares if I’m not gonna breast feed and why? Why do they ask the obvious or the most awkward ones. Like the sex one. I’ve told people that my sex life is not a topic to ever bring up, and people have actually gotten offended by that. Their problem not mine.

13. You are so right about this. People need to be more respectful and and recognize that these personal things are none of their business!

14. DogVills says:

I think we should learn how to manage our own business so we will never piss off somebody, I know the feels.

15. Ellie says:

Definitely an interesting post. There are some very personal and nosey questions on this list that nobody should ever ask but some like the “is s/he sleeping through the night?” Doesn’t seem so bad I know my niece did and then my nephew didn’t. I think most times people probably ask just out of curiosity and not to be rude but because you have a newborn baby so they probably don’t know what else to ask and they don’t want to avoid asking about your baby at all. 🙂

16. Nicky says:

Great tips and post! Thank you for sharing!

17. Jennifer L says:

I have a lot of friends who have children so i know to avoid asking questions that are too intrusive unless they want to share.

18. DT says:

So true… I have heard almost all of them being asked to my friends/relatives when they had their babies. Somehow people start thinking it’s all in public domain!

— DT | Here I Scribble

19. aziel morte says:

Hahahaha! It’s true! Most of this question has been asked to me! And Sometimes i want to answer it in a sarcastic way haha 🙂 I enjoyed this post thanks for this

20. Crystal Gard says:

This is a great list of what not to ask

21. Bill S says:

It is amazing what people will ask when they find out that you are expecting or are parents!! Love this list and congrats on your son!

22. Is he sleeping through is one of the most annoying ones really. Always always answer no! I carry my son quite a lot and I often get asked oh is he heavy? I find that annoying. Thanks for linking up to #familyfun

23. tammymum says:

HA yes lots of these are annoying. I know most of the time people mean well but still it just bugs. We kept (both) our pregnancies a secret for quite a while too and I loved it. I think the sleeping one takes first place for me. I had an up every hour baby and I swear I could have cried overtime some asked me – especially if they preceded to tell me how well their 3 week old slept or worse that their 5 year old still doesn’t sleep! aargh. Thanks for sharing with us at #FamilyFun

24. I’m not a mom but I definitely would never ask a new mom these questions. It’s really insensitive and they’re already going through a lot of changes!

25. I am so with you on all of these!! It is so frustrating getting asked time and time again! Thanks for linking up with #TwinklyTuesday

26. Haha! Some no-no’s in there for sure. It’s funny how as soon as you have a baby, everyone thinks it’s ok to ask these type of questions. Thank you for sharing with the #DreamTeam

27. Elizabeth O. says:

I’ve been asked these questions when I was pregnant with the twins, some are tolerable and some are just plain insensitive. This is why it’s important to put yourself in the person’s shoes so to speak.

28. Oh yeah its ridiculous isn’t it?! You get pregnant and have a baby and all personal boundaries are removed somehow!!
    Thanks for linking to #ablogginggoodtime