Flat head syndrome

Couple weeks ago I wrote article for meetothermums and that was my last one which I wrote for them. They decided to delete my account because someone was offended by my post about flat head syndrome. That person wrote that he is a GP and according to him I wrote a lot of things which can worried other Moms. I was really upset and I couldn’t understand it because I wrote on the beginning of my article that I’m not an expert. What’s more I found some information on NHS website.
Probably I should forgot about my article but hey it’s my blog and I can post here whatever I want right? If you feel that I wrote something wrong please tell me. It’s nice to have some conversation. Please, no not delete people if they have own opinions.
So here you have my original article:)

What is it?
I wanted to write about flat head syndrome months ago but I wasn’t sure if I should because I’m not an expert. I decided to do that because there should be more information about that syndrome. So I will start from definition because not everyone now what it is. Babies sometimes develop a flattened head as a result of them spending a lot of time lying on their back. There are two types:

plagiocephaly – the head is flattened on one side, causing it to look asymmetrical; the ears may be misaligned and the head looks like a parallelogram when seen from above, and sometimes the forehead and face may bulge a little on the flat side. Babies are most vulnerable because their skull is soft and pliable when they’re born
brachycephaly – the back of the head becomes flattened, causing the head to widen, and occasionally the forehead bulges out. It can happen when babies lie for long periods on their backs. Brachycephaly is less common.

Why I want you to know about it? The explanation is simple. When my son was born his head had a lovely round shape. Unfortunately it stared to change because I was advised to keep him on his back during his sleeping time. They believe that it’s important to do this to reduce the risk of sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS). OK I can understand that but why midwives, GP’s or HV’s do not inform new Mums that it can cause flat head syndrome?

If I would know about it I would try to keep my baby on his side during naps. I would try to change his position. Also I asked midwife if is OK that my boy is lying on his right side. She said YES but why she didn’t say what it can cause?
Fortunately my little bug decided to sleep on his tummy when he finished 3 months. I know that some Mummies will think now that I’m bad Mum and I should keep him on his back. But I don’t see a problem in it. He doesn’t want to sleep on his back and I can change his position but he will roll over on his tummy. Because of that we bought breath monitor which is helping assure us that everything is OK.

What you can do?
We had a special pillow for him to make his head more round. I was waking up in the middle of the night (couple of times) and I was changing his head position from right to left. We put all his toys on the left side of the bed.

The shape of his head is better now but I think it will be slightly flat. I hope it will change when he will start growing. It’s really important to check how sleeping on the back is affecting your baby’s head. If you want to be sure that everything will be OK buy a pillow which is designed specially by doctors, neurosurgeon and physiotherapist to reduce the pressure under the head. This allows the head to grow normally and round out to its natural shape. It is very effective when used before 6 months of age. It is recommended to use the pillow for prevention from the very first day of life.

If you have sling or baby carrier use it as often as you can because it’s helps to prevent flat head syndrome. Also make sure that you will be changing side you hold your baby when feeding and carrying.

There are specially designed helmets and headbands that some people claim can help improve the shape of a baby’s skull as they grow. You can use it if the problem is really visible. Unfortunately it’s quite expensive typically costing around Β£2,000. In my opinion it’s not really comfortable for such a little baby because he needs to wear it almost 24h.

Anyway my point is that they should inform us Parents about flat head syndrome to prevent it. What do you think about it? How is with your baby?

Mummascribbles
3 Little Buttons

Brilliant blog posts on HonestMum.com

Run Jump Scrap!
My Random Musings

I’ve heard about this. My friend’s baby had to wear a helmet for a bit.

My kids never got it!

18 January 2017 at 00:34
  • Reply Brandi Kennedy

In my experience, my babies were both active enough to prevent this, so it was never a concern for me. It’s definitely important to make sure babies aren’t left for very long periods lying on just one side of the head consistently though, as it really does distort the shapes of the soft skull bones.

18 January 2017 at 02:20

It’s happened to us because we were putting our son on his back every time he went to sleep but now he is on his tummy and it’s much better for his head and he sleep better:)

25 January 2017 at 12:42
  • Reply Robin

One of the real housewives of beverly hills this season had her daughter wearing a helmut for the very same reason. I think it’s sad that doctors do not inform mothers of the possibility and encourage them to put their children on the side. Kudos to you for sharing your story in the face of bullying by another moderator. xoxo Robin

18 January 2017 at 02:50

Thanks for that comment:) makes me feel that I’md oing good

25 January 2017 at 12:41
  • Reply Samahria Richie

I have never known what caused this syndrome. I have seen babies with the helmets on their heads. This is very informative.

18 January 2017 at 02:57

I hope this post will help other parent to prevent it

25 January 2017 at 12:41
  • Reply Mihaela Echols

Thats an awesome idea and your right its not good for kids to have flat heads.

18 January 2017 at 03:25

yeah I think nobody would like to have a flat head πŸ™‚

25 January 2017 at 12:40
  • Reply Michelle Catallo

My daughter was born with “turtle neck syndrome” ~ yes, that was the medical term the doctors and nurses used too. No helmet but, I had to do neck exercises in which she would screech in agony. She does have a lopsided head though to this day from it. I saw an article in which a dad has been painting these to “look cooler”; my favorite is the Star Wars Resistance Fighter Helmet πŸ˜€

18 January 2017 at 03:58

You always can find something good in bad things:) hope your daughter is OK now

25 January 2017 at 12:40
  • Reply mira pstr

that will be very helpful for babies thank you for sharing .

18 January 2017 at 04:16

no problem I hope it will help to someone

25 January 2017 at 12:39
  • Reply Heidi

It seems the information about how we should lay our babies for sleep changes every few years. My daughters did not sleep well on their backs. They woke up constantly! I finally bought some triangle pillows that allowed me to prop them on their sides. I switched sides from night to night. They slept so much better, and no flat heads.

18 January 2017 at 05:15

yes I think that should be our decision how to put our babies to sleep because we know them best

25 January 2017 at 12:38
  • Reply Hannah Green

Good for you for re sharing. Bloggers aren’t always experts but if you’ve been affected by something it’s always worthwhile spreading awareness and sharing your personal experience. Well done for doing that, ignore people who don’t read your disclosures carefully enough. well done x

18 January 2017 at 05:50

25 January 2017 at 12:37
  • Reply Chloe

I think it’s important to learn about these things as it can lead to serious complications later on if not addressed. It’s funny how we are taught to keep them on their back when in fact it is okay for them to spend some time on their tummies.

18 January 2017 at 10:12

Yeah I’ve got information that I shouldn’t write about it because it’s only cosmetic problem yeah but who would like to have a flat head?

25 January 2017 at 12:37
  • Reply Sarah-Louise Bailey

This was such a very interesting post to remind everyone that we should be very sensitive to our baby’s everyday position whenever they were in their sleep or lying for long periods on their backs.

18 January 2017 at 10:40

Exactly it’s really important to be aware of it

25 January 2017 at 12:33
  • Reply Wanderlust Vegans

Wow.. I had never heard of flat head syndrome. If I ever notice my friends kids having an asymmetrical head, I may mention something about this.

18 January 2017 at 13:52

Thanks:) I hope it will help someone

25 January 2017 at 12:32
  • Reply Elizabeth O.

I feel fortunate that I didn’t have to deal with this when the twins were growing up. It’s nice to have a gadget that will help your counter this syndrome.

18 January 2017 at 18:37

It’s not happen to every baby but it’s nice to know that something like that exist:)

25 January 2017 at 12:31
  • Reply Carol Cassara

That’s something that new parents must be informed about. I wonder why it’s not a standard procedure. Nonetheless, it’s nice to know that there’s a way to help prevent it.

18 January 2017 at 18:38

I think the same they should say that something like that can happen and than it’s parents decision if they want to prevent it

25 January 2017 at 12:30
  • Reply OddHogg

My sons head was slightly flat on one side, it had a definite bulge. Like you – I eventually let him sleep on his stomach from 5 months and he actually slept a lot better for it #bestandworst

18 January 2017 at 21:28

oh yes my son is sleep better as well and his head is really nice now

25 January 2017 at 12:30
  • Reply Kaitlyn

I agree, they need to be more informative about this. I tried really hard to rotate which side my baby boy would lay on and his head never got too bad. Totally depends on the baby too though!

Kaitlyn

18 January 2017 at 21:34

I was trying to do that as well but it didn’t help because after a couple of minutes he again was on his right side but now he is sleeping on his tummy and his head it’s really nice now

25 January 2017 at 12:29
  • Reply Robin Rue

The doctors made it a point to make us aware that this could happen. We kept a close eye on the boys when they were younger.

18 January 2017 at 23:15

my doctor didn’t say a word about it:(

25 January 2017 at 12:28
  • Reply AMANDA

This is why tummy time is a big thing. Give them a break, only when awake, and put them on their tummies several times a day and they should be fine πŸ™‚

18 January 2017 at 23:32

yeah tummy time is a must:)

25 January 2017 at 11:37
  • Reply Sondra Barker

I’m not a mom myself, but I see nothing wrong with this post! You were simply stating an opinion and providing reasons.

19 January 2017 at 11:18

thanks I thinks the same:)

25 January 2017 at 11:36
  • Reply Divya

I had no idea about this actually. Thanks for bringing light to this. Now I understand why tummy time is so important!

19 January 2017 at 12:10

It’s really important and it’s very helpful with that syndrome

25 January 2017 at 11:36
  • Reply stacey

I don’t understand why someone would get so upset. It happens and all you are doing is having making it possible to discuss.

19 January 2017 at 12:29

exactly:) and that was only my opinion because I’m not a GP so it’s obvious that I can’t know everything about it

25 January 2017 at 11:35
  • Reply Laura Wilson

Thank you for sharing. It’s something I had heard of but not read up on so its really good to know more xx friyaylinky

19 January 2017 at 21:17

no problem at all:) I’m glad that it can help someone

25 January 2017 at 11:34
  • Reply CourtneyLynne

Omg my daughter had a flat spot for the longest time!!! I was always worried about it but I fought in to it soon enough where I just had to make sure to keep moving my daughter around as often as possible

20 January 2017 at 01:55

I did the same and tummy time was really helpful

25 January 2017 at 11:34
  • Reply Chrissy

I agree, rotating them while they are laying down is a must. Eventually it goes away πŸ™‚

20 January 2017 at 04:07
  • Reply mark and kate

Never knew this before… my sister also didn’t know about it. Thanks for sharing this one!

20 January 2017 at 09:09
  • Reply Bridie By The Sea

I’m not sure why someone would get offended by this – I think this is very useful for new parents. My friend’s baby had it and these are fantastic tips to help. Thank you for linking up to #dreamteam x

23 January 2017 at 22:20

I think the same because before my son started to have flattened head I didn’t know that something like that exist if I will I could do something to prevent it

25 January 2017 at 11:32