What do you expect from your kids?

I don’t want to talk here about expectations as ‘Clean your room’ or ‘Put your dirty clothes to the basket’. It’s your decision when and if you will teach your kids how to behave and how to be independent. More important for me is what person you want to raise. I always wanted to make my son as happy person as possible, good for other people and to not to waste his precious life for ‘stupid’ reasons.

Some parents expect too much from their kids or not enough. It’s really hard to keep your expectations just ahead of your children’s capabilities. We as a mothers know our kids better than anyone else. We should know what they are able to do. Unfortunately nowadays we know some parents who are planning what exactly their kids will be doing in the future. They’re choosing schools, universities, jobs and even partners. Subconsciously they are doing everything to push their kids in direction which they chose for them.

We should ask ourselves: Will our kids be happy in the future if they will meet our expectations? What we want from them can be really different than what they want. Very often our children are scared to disappoint us so they’re forgetting what they desire. Do you really want to make your kid miserable? What if he doesn’t want to be a doctor or lawyer? Maybe he loves to baking or dancing?

Don’t try to make your child someone who was created by your imagination. Let him choose what he wants to be, what he wants to do in his life. I want to believe that I will accept everything what my son will choose in the future. I hope he will be not hurting other people because of his choices. I will accept what he will wear, how he will looks like and I will love him no matter what. And you? Did you choose a path for your kid or you will let him to do that by himself?

Mummy Times Two
Run Jump Scrap!
Two Tiny Hands

Brilliant blog posts on HonestMum.com

Twin Mummy and Daddy

• Reply Milton Goh

Yes I love this post! My parents also had an idea of what they wanted me to be, but I went against what they wanted. Thank God I did because now I’m happy and enjoying my life exactly the way it is!
    I will also let my daughter be led by God to do whatever she needs to do.

3 February 2017 at 19:46
  • Reply Brandi Kennedy

It happens all the time, too, doesn’t it? Parents sometimes don’t even realize how hard they’re pushing their kids, and it’s easy to become the type of parent who seems impossible to please. And it makes them give up trying, which is so heartbreaking.

I have always vowed that while I will guide and advise my daughters, I will also make sure they know how valued and accepted they are and will always be, regardless of the path they choose.

3 February 2017 at 20:20
  • Reply Eric Gamble

Love how your goal is to not to waste his precious life for ‘stupid’ reasons! That was great. So I have a question, you compare expectations to capabilities and you say how a mother knows but isn’t that projecting your own views which can often be limiting to the child?

3 February 2017 at 22:04
  • Reply Mihaela Echols

Manners. Teamwork. Communicating are my top three that i expect but that goes for me too.

3 February 2017 at 22:10
  • Reply Carissa

Such an important thing to remember. Not a parent yet but I hope that I don’t fall into this trap, I feel it would be so easy to do.

3 February 2017 at 22:49
  • Reply Sondra Barker

What a great post! I agree with letting kids choose what they want to be and do in life. In the long run that is what is going to make themselves happy as well as you as a parent seeing them content with their life.

4 February 2017 at 00:26
  • Reply Jasmine

I can relate! I watch and learn what my kids interests are and encourage/support them from there. I’m here to guide them and to be the best them they could be whatever that may be.

4 February 2017 at 02:06
  • Reply Krysten

I don’t really expect anything from my son. I really just want him to grow up and to be true to hisself. We don’t know who that is since he’s so young, but I know that he has to go after his own dreams and I cn’t expect anything off of him.

4 February 2017 at 04:44
  • Reply Wanderlust Vegans

I think I need to send this to a few parents I know. They are always expecting their child to basically be a mini version of themselves, and essentially not letting them live.

4 February 2017 at 11:31
  • Reply Chrissy

I really do agree with your post. I want my babies to be good people in the long run, that’s what is important to me plus their happiness!

4 February 2017 at 17:19
  • Reply Elizabeth O.

We all want the best for our kids, that why we expect too much, but what most parents don’t realize is that there are certain limits to that. We also forget about what our child feels and wants.

4 February 2017 at 18:00
  • Reply Karen | TwoTinyHands

I think I lucked out. I was never pressured into anything growing up I don’t think. I was given opportunities to do things but I didn’t have to do things if i didn’t want to. I hope to instil this into my son too, of course i want the best for him, all i can do is
    Guide him as best i can and how he will let me! ‪Thank you for linking up to the #familyfunlinky‬

4 February 2017 at 20:07
  • Reply Nige

Love this let your kids be what they want and happy Thanks for linking to the #THAT FRIDAY LINKY come back next week please

4 February 2017 at 21:38
  • Reply Missy Burson

My husband and I were just talking about this – it is hard not to impose any of your own failed hopes and dreams on your kids. Great insightful post!

4 February 2017 at 21:55
  • Reply stacey

This is so true. I’ve often been puzzled by people who say they’re kids would never do…. so wrong. They aren’t perfect, they are kids.

5 February 2017 at 12:54
  • Reply Jaki

Sometimes I think people expect more of my little boy because he looks and acts older than he is. Especially when he was younger and he spoke so well. I’ve probably been guilty of it myself aswell. #friyaylinky

5 February 2017 at 17:25
  • Reply Emily

I couldn’t agree more. Kids should be kids. There’s plenty of time for thinking about their careers, universities etc. Thanks for linking up to #ThatFridayLinky

5 February 2017 at 19:45
  • Reply Carol Cassara

I would rather not pressure them and just let them decide on their own. We expect too much because we want the best lives for them, but we often forget about what they want.

6 February 2017 at 17:57
  • Reply Milica

I couldn’t agree more with you. I have 4 year old son and all I want for him is to ve healthy, happy and good person and to choose his own path in life wisely!

9 February 2017 at 08:05
  • Reply Sarah

Aww I love this post. Its so true, and so honest. I feel exactly the same. I will gently nudge my children to do to right thing, or sway them away from doing the wrong thing. But when it comes to who they are, what they look like, who they love, what they want to do. I will accept and appreciate it all.

9 February 2017 at 21:33