What do you expect from your kids?

You may also like...

20 Responses

1. Milton Goh says:

Yes I love this post! My parents also had an idea of what they wanted me to be, but I went against what they wanted. Thank God I did because now I’m happy and enjoying my life exactly the way it is!
    I will also let my daughter be led by God to do whatever she needs to do.

2. It happens all the time, too, doesn’t it? Parents sometimes don’t even realize how hard they’re pushing their kids, and it’s easy to become the type of parent who seems impossible to please. And it makes them give up trying, which is so heartbreaking.

I have always vowed that while I will guide and advise my daughters, I will also make sure they know how valued and accepted they are and will always be, regardless of the path they choose.

3. Eric Gamble says:

Love how your goal is to not to waste his precious life for ‘stupid’ reasons! That was great. So I have a question, you compare expectations to capabilities and you say how a mother knows but isn’t that projecting your own views which can often be limiting to the child?

4. Manners. Teamwork. Communicating are my top three that i expect but that goes for me too.

5. Carissa says:

Such an important thing to remember. Not a parent yet but I hope that I don’t fall into this trap, I feel it would be so easy to do.

6. Sondra Barker says:

What a great post! I agree with letting kids choose what they want to be and do in life. In the long run that is what is going to make themselves happy as well as you as a parent seeing them content with their life.

7. Jasmine says:

I can relate! I watch and learn what my kids interests are and encourage/support them from there. I’m here to guide them and to be the best them they could be whatever that may be.

8. Krysten says:

I don’t really expect anything from my son. I really just want him to grow up and to be true to hisself. We don’t know who that is since he’s so young, but I know that he has to go after his own dreams and I cn’t expect anything off of him.

9. I think I need to send this to a few parents I know. They are always expecting their child to basically be a mini version of themselves, and essentially not letting them live.

10. Chrissy says:

I really do agree with your post. I want my babies to be good people in the long run, that’s what is important to me plus their happiness!

11. Elizabeth O. says:

We all want the best for our kids, that why we expect too much, but what most parents don’t realize is that there are certain limits to that. We also forget about what our child feels and wants.

12. I think I lucked out. I was never pressured into anything growing up I don’t think. I was given opportunities to do things but I didn’t have to do things if i didn’t want to. I hope to instil this into my son too, of course i want the best for him, all i can do is
    Guide him as best i can and how he will let me! ‪Thank you for linking up to the #familyfunlinky‬

13. Nige says:

Love this let your kids be what they want and happy Thanks for linking to the #THAT FRIDAY LINKY come back next week please

14. Missy Burson says:

My husband and I were just talking about this – it is hard not to impose any of your own failed hopes and dreams on your kids. Great insightful post!

15. stacey says:

This is so true. I’ve often been puzzled by people who say they’re kids would never do…. so wrong. They aren’t perfect, they are kids.

16. Jaki says:

Sometimes I think people expect more of my little boy because he looks and acts older than he is. Especially when he was younger and he spoke so well. I’ve probably been guilty of it myself aswell. #friyaylinky

17. Emily says:

I couldn’t agree more. Kids should be kids. There’s plenty of time for thinking about their careers, universities etc. Thanks for linking up to #ThatFridayLinky

18. I would rather not pressure them and just let them decide on their own. We expect too much because we want the best lives for them, but we often forget about what they want.

19. Milica says:

I couldn’t agree more with you. I have 4 year old son and all I want for him is to ve healthy, happy and good person and to choose his own path in life wisely!

20. Sarah says:

Aww I love this post. Its so true, and so honest. I feel exactly the same. I will gently nudge my children to do to right thing, or sway them away from doing the wrong thing. But when it comes to who they are, what they look like, who they love, what they want to do. I will accept and appreciate it all.