Mommy please look at me, not your phone!

You may also like...

27 Responses

1. It is sadly a very common sight to see a couple or family out for a meal together with some or all of them on their phones. I fall guilty myself from time to time. Its good to be mindful, that’s for sure!

2. It’s actually ridiculous. I was at the park the other day with my daughter and every single parents there, over ten, all were playing on theirs phones. Some were sitting on the bench, some were even pushing their kid on the swing! It was disgusting. What are we coming too.. #dreamteam

• ohmummymia says:

Yeah I think the same. We should have some detox sometimes. Went to a place without phones, tabletes etc:)

3. Jaki says:

Whilst I agree with you that this time is important with our children, it’s also important to consider that there may be another side to the story. There is a great article online entitled ‘Dear Mom On The iPhone’ that is a great read. There may be a reason why a Mum is on her phone – work (so she can work at home to look after her child), her other child, her sick mum or dad. I don’t think it’s for us to judge.
    Jaki recently posted…You Can’t Teach Creativity – Wednesday Wisdom 20 (feat Arty Apple)My Profile

• Jaki says:

Oops. Forgot to mention #FamilyFun

• ohmummymia says:

Of course everyone can have their own opinion and obviously I’m not saying about those situations when you need to be close to your phone because you will get very important call or etc

4. Pam lorimer says:

I loved this as it is the flipside to a blog i recently read all about not judging mums on their phone. You never know the other side of the story. I was at the park with my son the other day. I spent the entire time on my phone whilst flicking my eyes up keeping an eye on him. He has been a grumpy shit lately and i have spent every second with him playing and doing fun stuff as well as working nightshifts getting about an hours sleep a day. So for 20 min at the park i managed to connect with some people and catch up on stuff. I really enjoyed your post dont get me wrong its good to see the flipside of the argument and I know how bad I am for judging people sometimes. #DreamTeam
    Pam lorimer recently posted…Mug CakesMy Profile

• ohmummymia says:

I’m not saying that I’m not doing it but sometimes we should do a little break. Spend time without phones because nowadays it’s like our ‘right hand’ ;P

5. I have a rule about my phone, if I am out with my friends, kids or husband then I only look at my phone to respond if it’s urgent. I now in a habit of never looking at my phone when out so I can enjoy the moment #familyfun

6. Rebecca says:

This is so so true… I find that when I have days off I try and spend each alternate half an hour technology free so that I can spend quality time with my little man… #brilliantblogposts

7. I agree with the comments, sometimes we need to remember that we don’t know why a person is looking at their phone, it’s not always cut and dry. I try not to sit glued to my phone when I’m with the children but sometimes, if we are at soft play and they are off playing, I will take that opportunity to send out my emails or reply to comments, because I’m pretty much redundant from their plans! #brilliantblogpost
    five little doves recently posted…Celebrating Mothers: Getting up close and personal with Honest MumMy Profile

• ohmummymia says:

Of course you are right but nowadays it’s really common that people can’t speak to each other and to be fair we giving phones, tablets to our kids even when they are very young

8. Tubbs says:

I can see both sides … The person may be checking their phone because there’s an emergency or something, but if not, then put it down and be in the moment. It’ll never come again but that FB post will be there later
    Tubbs recently posted…Neko Atsume, the Kitty Collector Game. A Favourite Waste of TimeMy Profile

• ohmummymia says:

Yes I agree but in this case I don’t think it was important she could explain to her daughter that she need to do something important and than she will speak with her etc but she even didn’t look at her

9. This happens everytime to me. I’m in the restuarant with my family and everyone is on their phone. Then why take me out to the restuarant when they are not bothered to speak to me or even one another? Personally, I try not use my phone on nights out and having limited data really helps with spending less time on the internet

10. Im totally guilty of this but changing now! social media these days take over your life. Its so important to have 1:1 with your kids as it will affect them later in life

Sarah

11. Ruth says:

Like you, I get really annoyed when I see parents ignoring their children becaus they’re on their phones. There’s a time and a place.

12. My online community is my life line really. If I’ve not chatted to human adult all day it gets pretty tiring. Being on my phone is a connection with likeminded grownups. I don’t spend all the time on my phone but don’t think we should judge those who are on the phone either… we don’t know what they are doing. I think given the choice most people would choose the child any day. ‪Thank you for linking up to the #familyfunlinky‬
    Karen | TwoTinyHands recently posted…Time for #FamilyFunLinkyMy Profile

13. Good point, it is more important to pay attention to your kids than you’re phone. Fair enough if you are doing something important on your phone but just time wasting stuff like Facebook, Instagram is probably not the best use of time when around kids.

14. Sarah Bailey says:

This is a great topic for everyone. We need to take time off away from our mobile phones. We should spend more time doing things with our loved ones. It will benefit everyone.

15. Rosey says:

I see this a lot too as my nephew is always on a tablet or one of his parents phones. We need more quality time without phones and tablets. He even takes it a step further because his parents bought him an iPad even though at the time he was only four. A four year old doesn’t need a tablet. He needs to be outside playing. I thought I was bad getting a phone at the old age of 13 when my nephew at 4 already had an iPad boy was I wrong. Great post.

16. thi says:

Yes! It’s such a terrible habit, but hard to control, especially when you’re raised in this generation with having all the answers at your fingertips and the instant gratification. It’s a need to feel like we are belonging to society and not missing out on anything ! Love this post ! xox

17. Emma T says:

I’m probably worse at home when N’s doing other things. When we’re out and about it’s usually because I’m using it as a camera. #brilliantblogposts.

18. Krysten says:

I have been trying to put my phone away most of the day and only use it certain times so that my son has my full attention. It’s a small step, but I hope that it helps him know that I’m here for him fully!

19. I needed to read this. My phone broke a couple of months back and it was so refreshing to not have it. Now it’s here again and it’s just there to use. I need to put it down more. Thanks for linking up with #TwinklyTuesday
    Lisa (mummascribbles) recently posted…Mummascribbles meets…Muffin Top MummyMy Profile

20. Very true. With the availability of the internet and access to so much distractions, people are forgetting to live in the real world. Thanks for the reminder, I would definitely make it a habit to spend more time with the kids.
    Leo T. Ly @isaved5k.com recently posted…26 Tips To Buy Your Dream Home With ConfidenceMy Profile

21. I love this post. It’s so interesting because of course, whilst I agree there’s a time an a place for phones, at the same time there could be a million and 1 reasons why it’s being checked so much. Like, an emergency situation, or maybe checking the time because they are running late. It may be more important than we could ever imagine. Who knows really. Thank you for sharing with the #DreamTeam, really thought provoking xx
    Annette, 3 Little Buttons recently posted…London. A Parents Thoughts.My Profile