My Baby’s First Year. A Mother’s Reflection

My Baby's First Year. A Mother's Reflection

My baby is one in a couple of days and it just feels so unrealistically. I can’t stop thinking if I could do something better? If my baby is happy? If he feels that I love him more than anything?

First time when I hold my son in my arms I knew that I will do everything what possible to make him happy, healthy and loved. It’s like Mommy mission:) On our first day I’ve knew I will miss that first ‘skin contact’, his first smile, touch, breath. It’s so true that you will never get this time again. And sometimes it makes me quite sad. Did I cherish all those moments enough? Did I miss something? It’s only one thing that all parents can be sure that it will all be over in a flash. You will not get back all milestones, happy moments, your baby’s first times and etc. One day you will wake up and wonder where the time has gone.

My Baby's First Year. A Mother's Reflection

When your baby is turning one you have thousands thoughts in your head. Basically it should be one of the happiest moment in our life. But my baby’s first year has gone by so quickly, it seems almost cruel. I still can’t believe that is almost a year since we brought him home. And now? He is walking so fast that sometimes I can’t catch him. He is understanding a lot. I can’t believe kids can be so smart. He is trying to eat by himself. He loves walks which is unbelievable because he hated it as an infant.

He taught me a lot. I didn’t know that I can be so patient. Or that I can love someone so much. I’m organized and surprisingly I like to planning everything. I realized that sleep is for weak people 😀 Really, I can sleep 4 hours and be fresh as a daisy. I know how to say ‘enough’ and don’t care about mess. I’m not crying if I don’t have time to clean a house or do a laundry. I will not make a diner? No problem. We can go to restaurant or buy a take away meal. I don’t need to be a perfect housewife as long I’m a good mother. I learnt to celebrate every day with my family. Especially when I’m off work. I can spend all day in a bed with my boys without feelings that I did nothing.

My Baby's First Year. A Mother's Reflection

That first year of parenthood was full of joy and excitement. We had a lot of magic moments but also a shit ones. But now I can say that I appreciate some of these bad moments. They also taught me a lot. Nobody is perfect and I’m doing everything what I can. I follow my instincts. You can read some books or asking for advices but only you know your baby and what he needs.

I understood that my baby doesn’t need best swaddles, night lamps etc. He doesn’t need to wear the most expensive clothes or shoes. His room doesn’t need to be full of toys and perfect furniture. As long as his parents are close and love him from the moon and back he will be alright. I can’t wait for our another exciting year.

Remember if you feel that you want to give up soon your baby will be old enough to refuses giving you a kisses or hugs so appreciate your Mommy and baby time. Even if sometimes you have a hard moments.

DIY Daddy Blog
ethannevelyn.com

• Reply Imperfect Mum

Beautiful post! I agree our children really do teach us a lot and it does go with the blink
    Of an eye. Thank you for linking up to #ablogginggoodtime
    Imperfect Mum recently posted…Friday Focus: Siblings Project April, a Tip-toe through the tulipsMy Profile

21 April 2017 at 20:58
  • Reply Danielle

This is so true. And as they grow, you’ll have more things to be amazed about. 🙂

23 April 2017 at 12:29
  • Reply Corey | The Nostalgia Diaries

Childhood just moves so fast. I feel like I just had my daughter and she is almost 6 now! This was a lovely post.

23 April 2017 at 15:33
  • Reply Catia

Congrats on making it a year!! There are so many beautiful and difficult things about year 1. It’s like your heart is breaking wide open!!

23 April 2017 at 15:47
  • Reply Jessica Peresta

It was sometimes so hard in my boys 1st years. But, I tried to soak it all up because they were only little once. This was a great post!

23 April 2017 at 19:16
  • Reply ashley peavey

Oh, I love this! It’d crazy how fast it got. Important to take it all in and enjoy!!!

23 April 2017 at 21:05
  • Reply Lisa Grooms

I can totally relate with how you’re feeling! My daughter will be 1 next month!

23 April 2017 at 22:04
  • Reply Kristi

I love that you wrote this – I wish I had after the first year with each of my 4 kids. It’s amazing how much we all learn and grow in that first year!

24 April 2017 at 00:07
  • Reply Vicki @ Babies to Bookworms

My head was spinning when my daughter turned 1! Her first year went by so quickly. Now she is almost 2 already! Time feels like it moves so much faster when you have kids.

24 April 2017 at 04:12
  • Reply Charissa | thenotsobusymom

“The days are long the time is short”…a quote that has been helpful to me while raising my 3 “babies”.
    Happy 1st birthday to your little one!!

24 April 2017 at 15:50
  • Reply Gemma Horlock

All so true! What a beautiful post. I always feel like ‘have I cherished every moment’ with all 3 of my children (one of which is 8 months) their childhoods seem to have flown by so quickly, it’s scary! Xx

24 April 2017 at 20:11
  • Reply Muffin top mummy

My little one is 5 months old today and it’s already going way too fast! This is a lovely post 🙂

24 April 2017 at 20:45
  • Reply Hayley aka Winging it with two boys

Fantastic post! The first year goes so quickly – my two boys turn three and four this year and I don’t actually know where the time has gone xx
    Hayley aka Winging it with two boys recently posted…The week that was #3My Profile

24 April 2017 at 22:21
  • Reply Alex @ That Butterfly Effect

Oh I know how it feels! I don’t know when nearly 6 years have gone by since my older son Leo was born and now my youngest is 8 months already! Time just flies, doesn’t it? I think the best thing any Mum can do is just appreciate and cherish every single moment, no matter how mundane it is! I find taking lots of pics and videos helps to remember those everyday moments in years to come – we always watch some of the baby videos with Leo 🙂 xx
    Alex @ That Butterfly Effect recently posted…7 easy ways to be more eco-friendly + FREE printable checklistMy Profile

24 April 2017 at 22:25