Travel

Going on holiday with newborns: 5 top tips

For some it sounds like the hardest challenge out there – taking your newborn with you on holiday. Thankfully, though, there are plenty of precautions and tips for you to ensure your trip won’t be as stressful as you might expect!

Stick to the time zone you know

Sleep is an incredibly important factor in both a mother and baby’s schedule. It makes sense, then, to travel somewhere with a similar time zone to the one you’re already accustomed to. CTI recommends this for “beating the jetlag blues”, so consider choosing a destination that won’t throw your sleeping arrangements off track so heavily. Once you’ve arrived, if your baby is having a hard time adjusting to the change in time, try and implement your usual bedtime routines and nap with them if and when it’s needed.

Be wise in choosing your seats

A plane journey with an inconsiderate passenger reclining their chair in front of you is undesirable at the best of times. With a baby, however, these issues become much more apparent. Think about where you’ll sit for the journey, and see if your airline will let you choose your seats before boarding – quite a few companies offer this online! Choose a seat towards the front of the plane, as you’ll experience less vibrations and noise as well as being able to disembark quicker once you arrive.

Pack the essentials

It’s a no-brainer, really, but you’re going to want to make sure you carry with you all the necessities. Try and work out whether it’s worth bringing certain items in your hand luggage – taking up too much space could result in extra fees (something to note: your baby’s bottles are exempt from the 100 ml rule). One helpful tip from NCT suggests preparing a few nappy sacks with a nappy, a small packet of wipes and cream in order to save a bit of room. You could also check if your destination sells the items you’ll need for your baby, as this could help free up your suitcase even more.

Check the facilities of your accommodation

Nearly every hotel is guaranteed to have sufficient amenities for you and your baby, but it’s definitely worth checking ahead before you book. Baby Centre say to make sure there’s a cot, an area to privately clean and change them and places where you can stay comfortably in the shade – a newborn shouldn’t really be exposed to the sun if it can be helped. Don’t forget to check the surrounding areas, too – a pharmacy and/or supermarket is a must if you find yourself unexpectedly short on supplies in the middle of your trip.

Don’t freak out – give your baby time!

Any holiday has the potential to be stressful for anyone, so imagine what it’s like for a newborn with no awareness of what’s happening around them. It’s likely they’ll cry a bit more and be slightly less comfortable than usual, but it’s important you remain calm and composed regardless of what’s happening. Don’t change any routines if it can be helped, and don’t let any crying or worrying exacerbate the holiday. It’s likely that your newborn will soon enough become accustomed to its changed surroundings and absorb your laid back energy so long as you possess it. Enjoy your trip, don’t fret, and instill that wanderlust into your baby right from the get go!

• Reply Carrie Wiley

YES! I love this! We love to travel and have always traveled with babies in tow! We love making memories as a family…. it’s always worth the trip for us! Great tips!

13 June 2017 at 21:27
  • Reply Emily@happymomblog

Wow, you’re so brave for taking new baby on a holiday! I’ve seen other moms do it and I’m just amazed! These are great tips! It’s actually good for momma bc she will be more relaxed! Not having to worry about the house chores etc, dinner or other things.
    Emily@happymomblog recently posted…Why I Envy My KidsMy Profile

13 June 2017 at 22:52
  • Reply Brittany

I love these tips! I’ll add to stick to your normal sleep routine no matter where you are, airplane, hotel, park, etc. If you swaddle them at home and sing to them, do it while you’re traveling, too–it really does help!

14 June 2017 at 05:00
  • Reply Elise Cohen Ho

Great tip on choosing the seating. I also really like the tip of staying in the same time zone. That makes everything so much easier.
    Elise Cohen Ho recently posted…The Importance of Minimalism for A Life Less MedicatedMy Profile

15 June 2017 at 18:26
  • Reply Sona Sethi

This is so true. I have seen parents who get very cranky or they will not travel at all with a new born. It needs to be a right balance.

16 June 2017 at 02:44
  • Reply Barbara Alfeo

Good advice! We are really picky about what we pack- always try to hve the least possible stuff! No one needs that baggage!

16 June 2017 at 07:02
  • Reply Made Adayasa

I’ve been maried for almost 6 years but we don’t have children yet . By reading your article make me feel to have children soon .
    Thanks for sharing that was great advise

16 June 2017 at 08:00
  • Reply Tania Potter - Soul Sense Coaching

You brave girl you! I don’t have kids but have seen many moms sitting at the front of the plane and I take my hat off to you all. I think it is great to travel with babies.

16 June 2017 at 13:09
  • Reply Nina

I always get so annoyed when people get mad at families and kids for fussing. There’s often nothing you can do about it. Kids are kids. But no, they always wanna blame the parents. Ugh.

16 June 2017 at 13:14
  • Reply Made Adayasa

Its not a good idea to travel with newborn . Unless we are prepare well for it . You article make things easy with your brilliant idea and advise

16 June 2017 at 15:38
  • Reply Vlad

I imagine parents are having a rough time with their newborns while on vacation! Sticking to the home time zone is definitely a great tip I keep hearing from people.. it also makes so much sense haha! It will just be harder for the parents to have as much fun.. if the timezone is suuuper different.

16 June 2017 at 20:02
  • Reply Sofia

Still not a mommy but I will definitely save up this post for the upcoming years! Better thinking, I am going to add your blog for future references 😉

XOXO,
    S

17 June 2017 at 01:44
  • Reply Sondra

Five newborns, wow you are supermom. I think seat choice is important especially on a plane ride that could be very long.
    Sondra recently posted…Summer at Knotts Berry Farm Brings Interactive Fun and New Foodie Finds!My Profile

17 June 2017 at 04:28
  • Reply Rachel

Great tips for parents!! I have always waited until my babies reached their first Birthday before we took a flight. I always worried about how you have to pack for them!!

17 June 2017 at 09:56
  • Reply Whitney Abigail

These are great tips, I would have never thought about the timezone one!

17 June 2017 at 15:03
  • Reply Michelle Paige

These are all great tips! I commend parents traveling with babies. It’s got to be so hard! I get really annoyed when other people get mad about babies crying or screaming… they don’t really know any better.

Michelle | She’s Not So Basic
    Michelle Paige recently posted…To the Woman who Boycotted Disney because of a ‘Gay Moment’My Profile

17 June 2017 at 17:49
  • Reply Needa

Oh God !! Super cool tips !! Love the tips and the way you have explain !!! Superb ! thanks for sharing

17 June 2017 at 23:48
  • Reply Ali Rost

You’re a very brave woman to take your newborn on vacation! I had such a hard time keeping it all together at home, much less somewhere else. I love the tip about not changing any of their routines, and also that they’ll pick up on your energy.

18 June 2017 at 05:37

first time in a plane my boy was 3 months old and he was so nice. He didn’t cry and was really calm:)

19 June 2017 at 21:20
  • Reply Helen

I only travelled in the U.K. When my daughter was a baby. It must be so hard to go further afield, I always think parents are so brave to take babies on the plane with them.
    Helen recently posted…Yeadon Stoops Beefeater review *My Profile

18 June 2017 at 20:33

I was thinking the same but when I was pregnant we’ve decided that our baby will be traveling with us:) he was 3 months old first time in a plane:)

19 June 2017 at 21:21
  • Reply Diidy

Good tips for parents.
    I don’t have kids and I don’t know how it is to travel with a baby.
    I’m happy for you that u can travel with your baby.
    This with the time zone is a good tip… a few year ago I flight really far away from my country in an another continent and it was really stressful because there was 8 h difference .
    Bye :*

18 June 2017 at 22:58
  • Reply Louise

I took Stacey abroad as a newborn (almost 14 years ago), and I hated every minute of it. She came down with an ear infection while we were there but it wasn’t diagnosed correctly to start with so she ended up being ill for all but one day. I’ve never been on abroad since as it’s put me right off! Having said that, I do agree with all your tips. They’re just perfect for anyone travelling with a newborn 🙂

Louise x
    Louise recently posted…7 Easy Ways to Spruce Up Your Garden on a BudgetMy Profile

19 June 2017 at 19:12
  • Reply Our Family World

I love the suggestion of getting front seats in the airplane. That would really be fantastic when you’re travelling with a baby or a toddler. Thanks for these tips.

19 June 2017 at 21:40
  • Reply Sajad Quadir

These 5 tips are the best tips and one should remember these things

19 June 2017 at 23:29
  • Reply Angela Milnes

What great tips and Yes I agree we need to be picky on what we are packing especially when you have a kids

20 June 2017 at 07:12
  • Reply Jigyasa

Such lovely and important tips 🙂
    A friend of mine recently became a mother and I’ll share this blog with her. Will definitely help her out a lot!
    xx