Travel

Before you will visit Tenerife with your baby

Before you will take your kids to visit Tenerife

Tenerife is known as an island of perpetual sunshine. It’s first place we visited twice and we want to go there at least one more time. So it’s no a surprise that we’ve decided to take there our son for first family holiday. I need to admit it was a little bit scary. Especially that is 5 hours flight and I wasn’t sure how our son react for such a long journey. Anyway we didn’t know what to expect and how he will like such a high temperatures, long days, trips, etc. But he was really good and e were able to take him even on volcano! That’s why I have some tips for you if you are planning to visit Tenerife with your baby.

1. Keep your baby safe in the sun

It’s really important to keeping baby safe in the sun. Babies skin is very delicate and sensitive. The main risks to babies during hot weather are sun burn, dehydration, heat illness which includes heat exhaustion and heat stroke. Remember to avoid the middle of the day and always have a pram with parasol. It’s also good idea to have a tent and shade when you spending time on the beach. We had sun protection clothing like a hat and suit. One more thing which is very important is sunscreen. Use it regularly and remember it should be SPF 50 or above.

2. Bottled water not tap water

It’s recommended to drink bottled water. So if you will be preparing your baby’s milk do not try to use tap water. There are to many mineral salts in it and you can spend your lovely holiday on toilet:/

3. Aqua/beach shoes

Sand on the beach is so hot that you can literally burn your feet. We had special shoes for our son and he didn’t have any problems during long walks on the beach. One day I forgot to put my shoes on and I almost die. It’s really hard to believe but that sand is like a lava!

4. Baby essentials

Prepare little medical kit with teething powder, paracetamol etc. If possible make sure you take enough nappies and powdered baby milk with you (if you are not breast feeding). These items are terribly expensive in the resort of Tenerife. Little pack of Pampers nappies cost 11 euro. We took enough nappies and I was really happy because we saved a lot of money. Also you may not always get the same brand you are used to.

5. Bag of toys

Sounds strange? It’s good idea if you want to keep your baby busy on a long flight. Also take some beach bucket and ball. You can have little inflatable pool if you don’t want to take your baby to ocean.

Don’t expect it to be anything like any other holiday you have ever had. It can be hard work but don’t need to be. If you will prepare everything what you need before your trip it will be much easier.

• Reply Chelsea Padgett

Sounds like you guys had so much fun! These are great tips.

21 June 2017 at 21:14
  • Reply Kayla O'Neill

Good call with the shoes! That is something I would never have thought of when traveling to a beach with a toddler!

21 June 2017 at 22:00
  • Reply Audria

Looks like such a fun place to visit. Thanks for the tips. I will look into this again if I ever travel there:)
    Audria recently posted…5 Tricks to try when you have a stubborn childMy Profile

22 June 2017 at 03:55
  • Reply Heather Johnson

I am all about sun protection. My kiddos and I slather on the sunscreen and use protective clothing. We burn way too easily.
    Heather Johnson recently posted…Preventing Hot Car DeathsMy Profile

22 June 2017 at 03:59
  • Reply Sondra Barker

It looks like you guys had a blast! These are such great tip. Although I do not have any kids of my own, a tool like this may come in handy some day. Great post!

prettyfitfoodie.com

22 June 2017 at 06:34
  • Reply Stefanie

I was in Teneriffe when I was 1 year old! I donยดt remeber a lot but the pictures say that I had an amazing time ๐Ÿ™‚

22 June 2017 at 07:40
  • Reply Leah

We used to go to tenerife loads as children! It’s such a great family destination. These are some great tips!

22 June 2017 at 09:21
  • Reply Elizabeth O

He looks very happy so, it worked out after all. Kids can be good travelers if we make sure we have all their needs met and their toys ready.

22 June 2017 at 09:28
  • Reply Shevoneese

Your son is beautiful. These are excellent guidelines for parents who are planning family trips to the beach or whererver with thwir infants.

22 June 2017 at 12:26
  • Reply lex

teneriffe is such a wonderful place to visit, i love how spain is built through and the small cities and places one can visit and have that fun and family time away from the busy city life and noise. you sure had fun here. and sure these are good tips when making that trip with the baby to keep him/her safe and make sure its the best of it all.

22 June 2017 at 13:14
  • Reply Jessica

Sounds like a great trip! Those baby essentials are perfect for a long trip or even a short trip. Sometimes I take some of the items listed on here everywhere I go. Looks like your son enjoyed the beach!

22 June 2017 at 13:55
  • Reply Amber

These are good tips that are useful for many different kinds of trips. Looks like you all had a blast!

22 June 2017 at 14:40
  • Reply Nellwyn

I’ll have to keep these tips in mind if I ever have kids. I definitely want to be able to travel when I’m a mom.
    Nellwyn recently posted…Stop Living Life In The Fast LaneMy Profile

22 June 2017 at 16:39
  • Reply Elizabeth Brico

I have never heard of Tenerife. The pictures are gorgeous! But I’m wondering where it is so I can go to this beautiful place too?? These are great tips for any sunny location though. Do you have a specific sunscreen you recommend? We were recently in Florida and despite being slathered in waterproof high SPF sunscreen, we ALL burned. Well except my littlest who is the darkest of all of us naturally. She tanned and looked beautiful while the rest of us were lobsters. But we need better sunscreen!

23 June 2017 at 08:48
  • Reply Krysten

My son is very fair skinned like I am. It’s really hard to keep him safe in the sun. I think that before going to a place like this, I would have to buy a thousand gallons of sun screen.

24 June 2017 at 05:41
  • Reply Kaity | With Kids and Coffee

Great tips, and beautiful photos of your sweet boy! Sun protection is always a top priority when traveling with our girls—so glad you included it on this list. ๐Ÿ™‚

25 June 2017 at 17:34
  • Reply Oyinkan Ogunleye

I just love anywhere with palm trees lol. I’m glad you found somewhere you love enough to go twice.

30 June 2017 at 22:27