Hints and tips

What fruits I can introduce to my baby?

Introducing fruits to your baby

When I’ve started to introduce solids to my son my first question was what fruit to try first? As a first time Mommy I was scared that I can harm my baby if I will give him something too early. I was looking for any guide but I couldn’t find the proper one. So I decided to prepare it by myself.

First fruits after 6 months:

Apple–  is very easy to digest. It’s nutritious source of vitamin C, which helps your baby absorb iron and supports a healthy immune system. Apple contains fiber, which can help keep your baby from becoming constipated.

Pears- are one of the least allergenic foods

Bananas– provide a healthy dose of potassium for normal muscle and heart functions. They are also good for the treatment of diarrhea and constipation.

Peaches- are rich in fiber, vitamin C and vitamin A, a nutrient that promotes healthy eyesight and white blood cell formation.

Apricots– are additional fruits that your new eater can easily digest

Papaya flesh is easy to swallow. It is rich in vitamin C and beta-carotene. Papaya is also high in soluble fiber, which is important for normal bowel function.

After 9 months

Grapes– contain flavonoids that may be responsible for heart health and protecting against “bad” cholesterol. Grapes are also packed with antioxidants, Vitamins, and Calcium.

Cherries– are not highly allergenic however cherries do contain pits and a rather thick skin. Young babies may not be able to properly digest cherries earlier than 8 months of age

Kiwi– is rich in vitamin c, fiber, potassium

Mango– is loaded with Vitamin A and contain a higher level of carotenoids than almost any other fruit. These carotenoids are said to reduce the risk of cancer as well as heart disease

Melon– are high Vitamin A, Vitamin C and even Calcium

Avocado– because of its texture and creaminess they are great first food for baby. Also, avocado is full or “good” fats and has a high nutrient content

After 12 months

Strawberries– are an amazing source of Vitamin C. However they are a potential high allergen food and as such, they really should be avoided until 12 months of age

Citruses– introduce oranges and other citrus fruits to your baby closer to 12 months due to the acidity. The acid can cause terrible diaper rashes and even rashes around the mouth and lips

Remember that it’s only a guide. If you will introduce to your baby strawberries before 12 months and he will be perfectly fine it’s nothing bad in it. Every baby is different but it’s good to know where to start:)

• Reply Ashvin Nankoo

I have a 9 months niece and she is starting to eat mangoes. I need to pass this post to my aunty and I would definitely encourage her to feed my niece some avocado!

10 July 2017 at 23:01
  • Reply Jessica Taylor

This is a great list, especially for new moms! My daughter loved peaches as a baby!

11 July 2017 at 01:14
  • Reply Ana De- Jesus

I had no idea that you should avoid citruses until after 12 months because of allergy. But I liked your handy milestone guide and what fruits babies can have at each age x

11 July 2017 at 01:21

This is great to keep in mind. I know my babies always enjoyed their fruits, but they were always over a year old. I was paranoid about choking.
    Amber Myers recently posted…Hey, It’s OkayMy Profile

11 July 2017 at 01:45
  • Reply Claudia Krusch

I remember how excited I was to introduce fruit to my Son. This is a great guide. I will have to share this with my friend for her little one.

11 July 2017 at 03:26
  • Reply Muna Kenny

I struggled with my son when it came to fruits, I had to hide some in his food. These tips are great for new moms!
    Muna Kenny recently posted…Outstanding Chocolate Chip CookiesMy Profile

11 July 2017 at 03:29
  • Reply Heather Johnson

I breastfed both my babies for the first six months. I did not introduce any solids until exactly six months.
    Heather Johnson recently posted…Save on Back-to-School with DickiesMy Profile

11 July 2017 at 03:47
  • Reply Corinne & Kirsty

I had absolutely no idea. So informative. I mean I would have given strawberries from so early on. Good I don’t have a baby yet and I read this! xx corinne
    Corinne & Kirsty recently posted…Around The World Bar summer cocktail menuMy Profile

11 July 2017 at 08:27
  • Reply Elizabeth O

I was wondering why the different timeframes until I got to the end of your post. Yes, all babies are different and some can consume more or less types of solids at different steps of their development.
    We just need to work with the needs of our own child and figure out when it’s best to offer them solids and other table foods.

11 July 2017 at 13:28
  • Reply Mary Osadolor

Definitely going to share this with my friends that are new mums, very informative and educative. Thanks.

11 July 2017 at 14:16
  • Reply katriza

THis is so helpful for those with babies around 6 months old! We started off with bananas and peas. Loved it!

11 July 2017 at 20:51
  • Reply Laura

Wow ok I didn’t know you had to be strict! Definitely need to consider all these when I get pregnant!

11 July 2017 at 21:21
  • Reply Ophelia Tang

This post is very helpful and detail. I would share these tips with my friends who just had a baby. Thanks for sharing.
    XOXO //SINCERELY OPHELIA | NYC Petite Fashion Blogger

11 July 2017 at 23:47
  • Reply Rosey

I took my granddaughter to McDonald’s not long ago (she’s 4). I got her a kids meal. She opened it and had a fit. She’s never had hamburger and all sandwiches she said, should have avocado, lol Lesson learned to grandma. 😉 I’m glad she eats healthy.

12 July 2017 at 14:16
  • Reply aareeba

This is awesome list , specially for new moms. Am gonna share this with my cousin whoz going to be a mommy soon

12 July 2017 at 21:06
  • Reply Jennifer L

Oh wow thank you for creating this guide! I have friends who are going to be mothers soon and I know its definitely stressful for them not knowing what they can or cant do.

13 July 2017 at 06:44
  • Reply Trisha R (@Rosewood_Grace)

This is such great information! The first fruit I tried with my baby was banana and she loved it then, but now for some reason, not so much! She has most recently taken a liking to pineapple though!

13 July 2017 at 15:30
  • Reply Nita

My baby’s first food was Avocado! I thought he would pull a face and spit the green stuff in my face, but he absolutely loved it and couldn’t get enough of it!

13 July 2017 at 16:48
  • Reply Ohmummymia. Family blog - What vegetables I can introduce to my baby? - Ohmummymia. Family blog

[…] two weeks ago I posted a guideline what fruits you can introduce to your baby after 6,  and 12 months. Maybe some of you were thinking why I didn’t start […]

31 July 2017 at 14:11