Family Lifestyle

Why reading to your child is so important

Reading is very important

I’ve started to read aloud when my baby boy was still inside my bump. Why? I wanted to be sure that he will be able to recognise my voice. Also, I’ve read somewhere that’s good for babies. Today I will explain to you why it’s so important and why it should be your habit.

Benefits of reading to kids

First of all, if you want to raise happy and intelligent (little) human you should read to your baby for at least 20 minutes. Every day! I will give you 15 benefits that highlight the importance of reading to your child. So if you didn’t start it yet it’s the perfect time to catch up.

1. Helps to build a stronger relationship with you
  11. Improves speech skills
  12. More logical thinking skills
  13. Helps prepare their minds to succeed in school
  14. The basics of how to read a book
  15. Improves general knowledge

Benefits of reading with kids

Reading together is family time; it is your precious time for cuddles, sharing your point of view but also a time to listen. When we build a conversation around a story we encourage our children to communicate with us. Studies show that early reading with children helps them learn to speak, interact, understand the world around them. Books teach your child what is good and what is bad, what is real and what is not. When you’re reading aloud you’re increasing your baby’s vocabulary. On the beginning, your child learns about colors, shapes, numbers, and letters and later discovers an expanding chain of knowledge.

What’s most important your baby will be less willing to watch TV, play on the computer and other electronic gadgets. He will understand that reading books can be fun and a pleasure.

Benefits of reading with kids

And on the end, I’ve prepared for you a Stephen’s King quote:

‘Books are the perfect entertainment: no commercials, no batteries, hours of enjoyment for each dollar spent. What I wonder is why everybody doesn’t carry a book around for those inevitable dead spots in life.’

Don’t forget that reading aloud to your children is an investment in his future.

• Reply Nicole Anderson

All of these points are so true and underscore very well the importance to introducing your child to the joys of reading as early as possible. It also encourages a love of books which is so important today where so many people do not read much any more and are too focused on electronic things. Great post.

24 July 2017 at 21:57
  • Reply Sharon Schierling

So very true. We read to our children and they both have advanced degrees and pro careers. We have a great relationship with both.

24 July 2017 at 22:05
  • Reply Ngumabi

I love this
    Reading to your child definitely creates a strong bond with him/her
    Nice article!

24 July 2017 at 22:29
  • Reply Cindy

I wholeheartedly agree! I am a kindergarten teacher and see the value of reading to children everyday. These child come to school ready to read and write on their own . Great post!

25 July 2017 at 00:21
  • Reply Heather Johnson

I am all about reading books to and with my kiddos. We just checked out a bagful of books from the library today!
    Heather Johnson recently posted…Burlap Ribbon Summer Flower Wreath CraftMy Profile

25 July 2017 at 00:44
  • Reply Sarah

I read to my 2 year old nightly and he absolutely loves it. I do too actually because it’s something that we both look forward too, spending that time together. Great post!
    Sarah recently posted…Awesome and Unique Crochet Items #2My Profile

25 July 2017 at 01:31
  • Reply Krysten

My son requests that we read to him at least a million times a day! I love reading to him, but I didn’t realize that it was so important! So amazing!

25 July 2017 at 05:13
  • Reply Sondra

its great that reading will be able to improve their overall knowledge and work on their memories. Just setting a little time aside I agree is such a good idea.

25 July 2017 at 07:58
  • Reply Gloria

My dad did that every night when I was little. Him reading to me was my favourite part of the day. Now, when I am feeling unwell; I ask my boyfriend to do it. It might sound strange, but it calms me down so much.
    Gloria recently posted…Mixed Summer Berries in Frozen YoghurtMy Profile

25 July 2017 at 08:28
  • Reply Madi White

i love this post! I have found so much joy in reading to my little girl!

25 July 2017 at 15:50
  • Reply Kristy

I absolutely love this. One of my biggest goals since my children have been babies is to read to them. It’s so very important and will pay off if you keep with it. We are already seeing results with our 10 yr old and 6 yr old reading several grade levels above. We are still reading to our three year old, but she’s a book lover as well. 🙂

25 July 2017 at 21:26
  • Reply LadyLebz

I love this, so insightful! I’ll definitely be reading to my kid when I become a mom 🙂

26 July 2017 at 20:20
  • Reply Kelsie Sabers

Great post! Reading is extremely important!

26 July 2017 at 20:25
  • Reply Christine

Well I came to the right post because I am a teacher and I couldn’t agree more with how important it is to read to your child. All your points were spot on. I encourage all of my students to read, read, read, as well as the parents to continue to read with their child from birth to whatever age. Reading is family time and so critical for a child’s growth and development is literacy and communication. Thanks for sharing! I pinned this post too. 🙂

27 July 2017 at 02:00
  • Reply Sarah Camille

So many great points here! Reading can be such a lovely routine with kids and I also think it’s a great way to help them use their imagination.
    Cheers, Sarah Camille

27 July 2017 at 21:50
  • Reply Aarika

This is a really fabulous post! You share such wonderful reasons for the importance of reading to your child. Better communication and higher aptitude skills are definitely perks for reading more to children. Great post!

28 July 2017 at 17:21
  • Reply Wildish Jess

It’s crazy how quickly kids develop when they’re read to. There’s so many benefits its unreal!
    Wildish Jess recently posted…Sell Your Home Fast with OpendoorMy Profile

3 August 2017 at 04:06
  • Reply Elizabeth O

I agree with you 100%. I grew up in a household of readers and passed the same love to my kids. It has served them well on many levels.

10 August 2017 at 14:11