Family Lifestyle

Why I don’t celebrate Valentine’s Day

Yes, you read it correctly. You will not find here any ideas for Valentine’s Day gifts or any other ideas related to that day. I’m with my husband about eleven years and as I remember we’ve never had warm feelings for 14th February. I love my husband every day and I don’t need any reminder. Also, I don’t need a special day to get something nice for him.

Don’t be naive

It’s really sad when a woman is getting flowers or box of chocolate and she looks like the happiest person in the world but on next day, when the Valentine’s Day is already a past, she’s getting a punch in her face. And both things from the man she loves. Unfortunately, I knew that woman. She was so naive. And she was trying to convince everyone that her man loves her so much because he remembers about Valentine’s Day.

I’m so happy that she is not with that guy anymore and now she knows what real love means. She stopped waiting for stupid flowers on 14th February because she has them almost every day.

‘Money, money, money Must be funny In the rich man’s world’

Because it’s all about money. Yeah, who loves Valentine’s Day the most? Big companies. They sell you all those beautiful hearts, flowers, chocolates, lingerie. Everything that’s red and has the shape of a heart. In restaurants, you can buy everything the same as on every day but you need to pay double.

Once again why I don’t like VD

And anyway who would like to go to a restaurant on Valentine’s Day? It’s more expensive, crowded and you have no privacy.

Are you planning to see a romantic movie in a cinema? I bet there will be a lot of talking people. I’m sure they will be loud as f*ck. Especially those ones who love to eat popcorn and only God knows why they are doing it. For me, it’s better to stay at home and watch a nice movie on the sofa and cuddle with my hubby.

Another thing, why I need to watch that stupid TV spots with sexy lingerie? It’s mean that I can buy it only for Valentine’s Day? I thought it’s better to do that when your man doesn’t expect it. And then you have a real big ‘wow’ in your bedroom.

I don’t need Valentine’s day to think about my husband when I’m doing a shopping. Nobody needs to remind me that he likes chocolate or other sweets. Besides, it’s always better to get something made (not just bought) by your other half. It doesn’t need to be something big. I remember that my ex-boyfriend makes a special CD for me. He downloaded all my favourite love songs. And that meant for me a lot at that time. At least I knew he tried to make that day more special.

Summary

If Valentine’s day is the only opportunity for you to go somewhere together than do that but remember to show the love not only once a year. You can buy gifts for your other half without a reason. Saying ‘I love you’ costs nothing but making a big difference. Share what you have best not only on Valentine’s Day. It’s just a date on your calendar. If you love someone you should have your VD every day.

• Reply Angie

I love Valentine’s Day but we don’t celebrate it the old conventional way of getting flowers and chocolate and going to a restaurant. That’s fools game! We spend it at home. I make a nice festive dinner and decorate my house with Valentine’s Day decorations. I love having hearts all over the place lol. Then we watch a movie at home. Now that we’re larents we’re trying to include my daughter more and more as she turns into a toddler.

7 February 2018 at 04:05
  • Reply jhilmil

True thoughts, we celebrate in a very composed manner, we cook at home something special and ensure that we gift each other something home made. Restaurants have actually no privacy on V-Day!

7 February 2018 at 23:41
  • Reply Ashley Solberg

I agree, always better to show love the whole year and not save it for just one day. I am so glad you’ve found happiness <3

8 February 2018 at 03:48
  • Reply CourtneyLynne

I’m a valentine’s lover lol….. I use to be the same way then I got married…. now I love valentine’s Day mainly because hubby gets a sitter and I get to eat without a kid bugging me lol…

8 February 2018 at 04:26
  • Reply Innana

I’m not a big fan of Vday either! I feel that we need to show eachother love every day not just once a year!

9 February 2018 at 03:12
  • Reply Kyla Matton Osborne | 24 Carrot Diet

I agree that we don’t need to wait for Valentine’s Day to do something special for our mates. And yes, getting something they made is so much nicer than getting flowers or chocolate, or a piece of lingerie or jewellery. I’d rather he made me a favourite meal, or spent an evening watching movies with me. I would rather have his time and love than a pricey gift.
    Kyla Matton Osborne | 24 Carrot Diet recently posted…Frugal Friday: Remember the Leftovers When You Write Up Your Meal PlannerMy Profile

10 February 2018 at 21:30
  • Reply Andrea

Isn’t most holidays about $. After 17 years of marriage, my VD usually consists of dinner prepared by my awesome chef husband and some kick butt foot rubs. You can do on the cheap 🙂 But I totally get what your saying

10 February 2018 at 22:35
  • Reply Susan Carraretto

I hear you. Valentine’s Day can be simple and inexpensive. I really hate how expensive cards are these days… and flowers (especially roses) on Valentine’s Day are more expensive than other times of the year.

11 February 2018 at 01:32
  • Reply Ivonne

Yes I agree to a certain degree in that corporations seem to have created a lot of hype over the holidays and dedicating one day to show love, kindness and respect be it Valentine’s Day, Mother or Father’s Day! Love, respect and kindness should be shared daily and not just on a particular day! The most meaningful gifts I received on VDday where school made gifts my children made and brought home; oh how those special handmade gifts warmed my heart and still do – I’ve kept all of them, why, cause they were made with the purest intentions and love!

11 February 2018 at 03:29
  • Reply amanda

Im not a lover of valentine day because as mentioned me and my significant other try to show each over the love all year round. We do also have date night at least once per week. I always feel the love and I am very lucky because of it 🙂

11 February 2018 at 19:39
  • Reply Dorit

I agree that we should show our partner love the whole year, not just on Valentine’s Day which, as you say, is a commercial invention. Funny thing is my parents got married on a 14 February but back then VD did not even exist in Germany. I still like to buy my hubby a gift, but definitely not a chocolate box.

11 February 2018 at 20:09
  • Reply Brittney A Moses

While Valentines day can be a great day to celebrate your love, I agree that it’s something that should be shown all the time and from a genuine place. Also there are some things that money cant buy that are equally as important like quality time, trust, commitment, etc. These things are worth investing in even more!

12 February 2018 at 01:33
  • Reply Sondra Barker

You’re so right. You don’t need to spend so much on this day. It’s just symbolic! And this day can be celebrated any day and as often as you wish.

12 February 2018 at 02:10
  • Reply Tina Hogan Grant

I’ve been married to my husband for 25 years. For me everyday is Valentines Day, we tell each other we love each other, every morning and night, we’re best friends and we are traveling down the life of road together. No hallmark card can top that 🙂

12 February 2018 at 04:11
  • Reply Erica

I used to work in a flower shop. The wholesalers mark up the cost of flowers so high on Valentine’s day that little shop owners can barely make a profit. Since then, I’ve never been that into Valentine’s day. It’s all about money.

12 February 2018 at 05:06
  • Reply Elizabeth O

I agree with what you are saying, Valentines Day is very overly commercialised, why do you need a day to show love?! but I also think why not too, if celebrating is something you want to do then go for it! You do you 🙂

12 February 2018 at 12:39
  • Reply Rose

Exactly. I will give a box of chocolates to both of my kids but it’s all in fun. I hate all the hype about love. Like one day is above all days? I don’t need one day to celebrate or go out.

12 February 2018 at 18:37
  • Reply Blair villanueva

I admit that Valentine’s Day are became commercialized. Us, we dont celebrate it because for us everyday is a chance for valentines day!

14 February 2018 at 04:28
  • Reply neha

Thanks for sharing such kind of nice and wonderful information. We would like to thank you for the efforts you have made in writing this post.Thank you

19 February 2018 at 11:01
  • Reply Nadia

I love the idea behind Valentine’s Day, despite the whole commercial side of things. Though, show me a woman who would throw the flowers away just because her OT gave them to her on V. Day 🙂 It’s really not about the day. It’s how strong, romantic, spontaneous, fun, trusting and REAL relationships are.
    Miel and Mint blog

22 February 2018 at 01:02
  • Reply rutudalvi

enjoy being single and loving myself….!

7 March 2018 at 07:34