Lifestyle

Foods can help you to fight depression

Fight depression with foods

Very often Moms need to struggle with depression and anxiety. Taking care of kids, house and job it’s not easy.  What can I say…It’s really hard to juggle it all. As Moms, we can be overwhelmed every day so it’s good to know how we can beat depression.

And it’s even better to know that is something we can use whenever we want. Plus there are no side effects. What is it? Food. Mostly fruits and vegetables. Here is the list of 10 foods that can help you to fight depression.

1. Walnuts– are one of the richest plant sources of omega-3 fatty acids which support brain function and reduce depression symptoms.

2. Avocado – An average avocado also contains 4 grams of protein, higher than other fruits, and is filled with vitamin K, different kinds of vitamin B (B9, B6, and B5), vitamin C, and vitamin E12. Same as walnuts avocado contains healthy fat that your brain needs to ‘work’ properly.

3. Berries- are some of the highest antioxidant foods which are like DNA repairmen. They go around fixing your cells and preventing them from getting cancer and other illnesses.

4. Tomatoes- contain lots of folic acids and alpha-lipoic acid. Folic acid can prevent an excess of homocysteine — which restricts the production of important neurotransmitters like serotonin, dopamine, and norepinephrine — from forming in the body. Alpha-lipoic acid keeps coming up as I read more about nutrition and the brain

5. Onions- they don’t smell nice but onions have been associated with a decreased risk of several cancers! Eating frequently onion is associated with a reduced risk of cancers of the digestive tract. Also, the folate in onions works to shut out the formation of homocysteine in the body. An excess of homocysteine dodges all nutrients from reaching your brain and hinders the release of the good-mood hormones including dopamine and serotonin.

Fight depression with foods

6. Apples- One of my favourites fruits! They are high in antioxidants, which can help to prevent and repair oxidation damage and inflammation on the cellular level. They also contain a lot of soluble fibre which helps to regulate blood sugar levels.

7. Leafy greens- they are full of antioxidants and phytonutrients to alkalise the body, reduce inflammation and support healthy gut bacteria.  Leafy greens are especially important because they contain oodles of vitamins A, C, E, and K, minerals, and phytochemicals.

8. Dark chocolate-  helps to release serotonin and relaxes the blood vessels of the cardiovascular system. The only problem is that dark chocolate is incredibly calorie-dense, with about 150 calories per ounce, so don’t eat it a lot!

9. Sweet potatoes- they are great for triggering the body to release serotonin, the chemical that initiates a soothing feeling, de-stressing your mind and body

10. Green tea- is full of theanine which is an amino acid naturally found in tea leaves and it provides an anti-stress relaxation for green tea lovers

If you feel you have a problem with depression or anxiety it’s good time to change your diet. There is nothing better than boosting your mood naturally. Remember that I’m not a doctor and everything that I wrote here is based on my own experience or my research. I deeply believe that proper diet can help you to fight depression.

I’ll keep these in mind. I don’t have depression, but I do have some down days and the next time I have one, I’ll reach for one of these!

28 May 2018 at 21:31

I would say the dark chocolate will be best:P

28 May 2018 at 21:39
  • Reply Lauren Curtis

Maybe this is why I don’t have depression? I am addicted to just about everything on your list! I never knew! Thank you for sharing!

29 May 2018 at 00:39
  • Reply Jenn Pereira

When I ate healthy food, I felt so clean and light. These lists are the best healthy food available for everyone.

29 May 2018 at 15:46
  • Reply Charmain payne

Mental health awareness needs improvement and i’m happy to say this helps to push it in the limelight. This is a great post with tips and foods that i never knew that could help.

29 May 2018 at 16:05
  • Reply Laurie

I never realized that there were so many foods that could help battle depression. I’ve had bouts of depression which required medication with a doctor’s supervision. However, I would give a shot to the foods listed above when I am feeling blue (and not just dark chocolate, either). 🙂

29 May 2018 at 17:26
  • Reply Nisha

this post is rich with relevant information and thank you for sharing this post. the food we eat can significantly impact us and the future generations

30 May 2018 at 02:03
  • Reply Nik

Mental health is a very important part to live a happy life. But it generally stays in limelight. Speaking about the tips provided, made a note of it. Thank you 🙂

30 May 2018 at 12:48
  • Reply kaitlyn nicole

I’m not a mom, nor do I have depression… but I definitely need to eat these foods for a mood booster!

30 May 2018 at 15:50
  • Reply Marie Fe

Oh I love eating those in your list except tomatoes and onions. I don’t really like them. I just use onions in cooking but I don’t eat them just one of the spices. I know tomatoes are really good for the body but I don’t like it. Thanks for sharing

30 May 2018 at 16:44
  • Reply Meagan

This is a great list to help naturally boost your mood. I wish I loved avocados because of all the benefits but can’t bring myself to eat them. I do love dark chocolate and green tea.

31 May 2018 at 01:19
  • Reply Berlin | Momi Berlin

I don’t know that dark chocolate can help fight depression. but I do eat some of these foods.

31 May 2018 at 07:10
  • Reply LavandaMichelle

What a cool post! I never knew there were foods that can help with this specifically, such a wonderful thing to blog about. Thanks for sharing! 🙂

31 May 2018 at 18:10
  • Reply Vasundhra

I firmly believe that dietary changes can help anyone who is struggling with depression.I am happy that I include all these foods in my diet.
    Vasundhra recently posted…5 DIY Face Scrubs For Glowing SkinMy Profile

7 June 2018 at 02:27
  • Reply robert

This article is very helpful for all those people who are suffering with depression. Thanks for sharing informative article. Above mentioned list of fruits can be considered to fight with depression.

28 June 2018 at 07:12