Very often Moms need to struggle with depression and anxiety. Taking care of kids, house and job it’s not easy. What can I say…It’s really hard to juggle it all. As Moms, we can be overwhelmed every day so it’s good to know how we can beat depression.
And it’s even better to know that is something we can use whenever we want. Plus there are no side effects. What is it? Food. Mostly fruits and vegetables. Here is the list of 10 foods that can help you to fight depression.
1. Walnuts– are one of the richest plant sources of omega-3 fatty acids which support brain function and reduce depression symptoms.
2. Avocado – An average avocado also contains 4 grams of protein, higher than other fruits, and is filled with vitamin K, different kinds of vitamin B (B9, B6, and B5), vitamin C, and vitamin E12. Same as walnuts avocado contains healthy fat that your brain needs to ‘work’ properly.
3. Berries- are some of the highest antioxidant foods which are like DNA repairmen. They go around fixing your cells and preventing them from getting cancer and other illnesses.
4. Tomatoes- contain lots of folic acids and alpha-lipoic acid. Folic acid can prevent an excess of homocysteine — which restricts the production of important neurotransmitters like serotonin, dopamine, and norepinephrine — from forming in the body. Alpha-lipoic acid keeps coming up as I read more about nutrition and the brain
5. Onions- they don’t smell nice but onions have been associated with a decreased risk of several cancers! Eating frequently onion is associated with a reduced risk of cancers of the digestive tract. Also, the folate in onions works to shut out the formation of homocysteine in the body. An excess of homocysteine dodges all nutrients from reaching your brain and hinders the release of the good-mood hormones including dopamine and serotonin.
6. Apples- One of my favourites fruits! They are high in antioxidants, which can help to prevent and repair oxidation damage and inflammation on the cellular level. They also contain a lot of soluble fibre which helps to regulate blood sugar levels.
7. Leafy greens- they are full of antioxidants and phytonutrients to alkalise the body, reduce inflammation and support healthy gut bacteria. Leafy greens are especially important because they contain oodles of vitamins A, C, E, and K, minerals, and phytochemicals.
8. Dark chocolate- helps to release serotonin and relaxes the blood vessels of the cardiovascular system. The only problem is that dark chocolate is incredibly calorie-dense, with about 150 calories per ounce, so don’t eat it a lot!
9. Sweet potatoes- they are great for triggering the body to release serotonin, the chemical that initiates a soothing feeling, de-stressing your mind and body
10. Green tea- is full of theanine which is an amino acid naturally found in tea leaves and it provides an anti-stress relaxation for green tea lovers
If you feel you have a problem with depression or anxiety it’s good time to change your diet. There is nothing better than boosting your mood naturally. Remember that I’m not a doctor and everything that I wrote here is based on my own experience or my research. I deeply believe that proper diet can help you to fight depression.