As a Mom, I know how hard is to get enough sleep through the night. Also, I know that when you have a problem to get the quality sleep it can cause negative effects on your health and well-being, and the long-term effects of sleep deprivation have been associated with numerous conditions, such as diabetes, depression, hypertension, and obesity. That’s why I’ve decided to take part in Bed Guru Campaign: Choose Sleep. The mission of the Choose Sleep movement is to encourage a better night’s sleep, not only through sleeping on the right bed but through making the right choices in life to combat the sleep loss epidemic. I think it’s really important to educate people about the importance of sleep. So, let’s start it here!
Why is sleep so important?
If you don’t get enough sleep for a long time it can cause fatigue, clumsiness, daytime sleepless, weight loss or weight gain. Also, it can affect your brain and cognitive function. What’s worth to know sleep plays an important role in your physical health. Did you know that sleep is involved in healing and repair of your heart and blood vessels?
Now you know why as a Mom you feel like a mess. We just don’t get enough sleep. Sleeping deprivation is one of our main problems.
What can you do to sleep better?
- Try to go sleep and get up at the same time every day. Even if you sleep the same number of hours but at different times you can be less refreshed and energized. You should set up your bedtime when you normally feel tired.
- Say bye bye to your TV. Late night television is not a good idea when you need better sleep. It’s not helping you to relax. A better idea is to listen to music or audiobooks.
- Darkness is your friend not enemy. When it’s time to go your bed, make sure your bedroom is dark. You should use heavy curtains or shades to block light from windows.
- Change your lifestyle and start to exercise regularly. It really works. I’ve started exercise about 3 months ago and now I can say I have better sleep than before and during a day I feel less sleepy.
- Check what you eat and drink. It’s really important to avoid big meals at least two hours before your bedtime. Also, you should limit caffeine and nicotine.
- You can start your bedtime rituals if you need help to relax. Take a warm bath, do some easy stretches and read a book or your favourite magazine by soft light.
Is it something else you can do?
You can improve your sleep environment. What does it mean? You should check what you can change in your room to make it more comfortable for you. Keep a proper temperature. It should be slightly cool. The perfect temp is 20°C. Make sure your mattress has a good firmness level. Check your pillows that provide more or less support. Remember that your bed should be reserved only for sleeping and night pleasure with your other half. Watching TV, working or using your computer in a bed is a really bad idea. If you have trouble sleeping, avoid naps, especially in the afternoon.
Also, take a look at the video which is clearly explaining the importance of better sleep
Let m know if you have more tips to develop better sleep in your life. Share it here and help each other:)
Disclosure: This is a collaborative post in collaboration with Bed Guru