Family Hints and tips

Ways to Make Your Favourite Meals Healthy

healthy meals ideas for family

!First guest post on our blog :)!

Does your family love a sneaky trip to the pizzeria or the local Chinese restaurant? Well, what if you could still enjoy them? You just have to be a little inventive and make some small changes!

Have you ever tried frozen banana in the blender? Well, it is a game changer, tastes exactly like ice-cream! You’re going to learn to make some simple changes that will have you eating healthy in no time.

Don’t Step Away from The French Fries

Healthy meals ideas

The next time you want fries try baking them instead of deep frying them litres of oil. When at home try tossing your sweet potato wedges in a bag with olive oil and semolina. This coating with ensures you get a crispy oven chip every time. You can also try using a healthy oil like coconut to help reduce your cholesterol levels.

Healthy Fried Rice, That Still Tastes like Rice

healthy family meals

Rice can be good in moderation, however, if you find that when you cook it there is enough for the whole village (and you managed it eat it all) it might be time to find an alternative.

All you need to do is roughly chop your cauliflower and throw in a food processor for a minute.  You will find that the texture is very similar to rice. Use this ‘faux’ rice can be used in any dish where you would have normally used white rice and it tastes just the same. One of our favourites is cauliflower fried rice, the family didn’t even blink an eyelid when I served this one up!

Make Your Own Chocolate Bars

healthy meals ideas

If you find you a get a hankering for chocolate, try making it yourself. There is a huge difference between cocoa and cacao, so just by making the conscious decision to understand what is in your food, will significantly improve your health.

Cacao powder is packed with nutrients and tastes just as yummy as cocoa. We love making our own truffles, it only takes a few simple ingredients such as coconut oil, cacao powder and sea salt.

Can’t Give Up Mac and Cheese?

Processed pasta is not a good thing to eat on a regular basis. Get rid of boxed mac and cheese and make some at home. You can make a velvety cheese-based sauce with added butternut squash. This sweet taste on mac and cheese is sure to be satisfying.

Take it a step further and replace your high carb noodles with a plant-based pasta made out of chickpeas or legumes. The texture may be a little grainier than regular pasta but it tastes almost the same.

Make Your Own Condiments!

healthy meals ideas for family

Have you tried making your
sauces? If you have ever had a read of the back you will notice that sugar is
one of the main ingredients. If you see some tomatoes on sale, why not make this
basic BBQ sauce recipe? Or you could try making a yummy pesto. It is great to add to pasta or as a coating on the chicken.

If you looking for a creamy spread like butter, why not try avocado. It is a similar texture to
butter and great to spread on flatbread or toast. It is super easy to also make salsa, hummus or even salad dressing.

We All Scream for Healthy Ice cream

healthy meals ideas for family

We all love ice-cream, but if you have ever brought a tub and ‘accidently’ finished the whole tub, this can help. If you see some brown bananas at the shop or have some, don’t throw them out, peel and freeze them now! When your ready for some yummy ice-cream grab them out and throw them in the blender for 1 min -2 mins. You will find it turns into fluffy banana ice cream in no time!

It is delicious on its own, but you can add anything you love in ice-cream. You could throw in some blueberries, coconut milk or mint. You won’t believe how similar the consistency and taste is to ice cream!

Educating yourself is crucial when it comes to eating well. Rather than denying yourself or overindulging just a few tweaks here and there won’t have you missing out on anything. Turn these ideas and behaviours in habits to ensure you lead the healthiest lifestyle possible (well still enjoying it)!

Short info about Brittnay

Brittnay and her family lived in London for the past two years.  She passionate about her health and her family, you will find her healthy and delicious recipes on The Nut Butter Hub

• Reply stacey

Honestly, I have no idea why anyone would choose boxed mac n cheese over homemade. I used to hate brown rice, bread and pasta– now its a staple in our house.

1 October 2018 at 22:21
  • Reply Cassie

I love making my meals healthier. I can’t wait to try out your tips

2 October 2018 at 00:00
  • Reply Scott Gombar

Love brown rice. Stopped using Kraft Mac -n- Cheese for the kids years ago when I learned what was in the “cheese”. Two ways I make all my meals healthier. One: Drink Apple Cider Vinegar before the meal. Two: Add avocado to everything.

I also just recently started eating quinoa

2 October 2018 at 02:52
  • Reply Shannon

These are such great alternatives!! I loved home made Mac and cheese and baked fries!

2 October 2018 at 05:45
  • Reply Latte Lindsay

Ice-cream is my big problem, I love it too much! Great to see a healthy option.

2 October 2018 at 10:20
  • Reply Casey

Must admit I do have my cheat days and eat Mac & cheese, fries, etc… But health food is always something I enjoyed a lot and I do certainly experiment with different combinations especially with brown rice, quinoa and varies fruits. Great article!

2 October 2018 at 10:25
  • Reply Gladys Nava

Wow! These are so cool! I really love the techniques of those foods. This is something different!

2 October 2018 at 11:53

Good to keep in mind. I will have to try this out at some point. That banana ice cream sounds tasty!

2 October 2018 at 13:23
  • Reply London Mumma

This is really good tips, especially those with families, who want to live healthier.

2 October 2018 at 14:16
  • Reply Joan

Never tried coating sweet potatoes, sounds like a great idea. I will be using that next time.

2 October 2018 at 17:41
  • Reply Silvia

The tip on the french fries is genius! I do love to make my own sauces and nut-based dressings for my salads.

2 October 2018 at 18:05
  • Reply Comfort Nnana Kalu

This is great! I’m always looking for healthy alternatives and I’m going try all of these!

2 October 2018 at 18:25
  • Reply Monidipa Dutta

I love chocolates and would love to make these chocolate bars. It’s amazing how one can easily turn their favorite food into something healthy.
    Monidipa Dutta recently posted…My Graphic Tee’sMy Profile

2 October 2018 at 19:41
  • Reply Sarah Fatima

Everyone likes to eat healthy food. This post is really helpful for health conscious people like me. Especially thanks for the chocolate bars and tell that Cacao powder is better.

3 October 2018 at 06:16
  • Reply Maartje van Sandwijk

This is great information! I like the one with the chips – never thought of that!

3 October 2018 at 09:54
  • Reply Hannah Marie

I love all these foods listed here. It is good that there is a healthier way to prepping it. So, I could eat with less guilt.

3 October 2018 at 13:38
  • Reply Heidi

These are great tips! You actually just solved a mystery for me. I’ve always wondered why some french fries are not gluten-free (even when they aren’t fried in the same oil as battered chicken and fish). Those fast food places must coat their fries in semolina as you suggested. That also explains why I can never get my homemade fries crispy! Wish I could use that trick, but we have to eat gluten-free. I’ll have to research to see if there is a similar trick that doesn’t use wheat.

3 October 2018 at 19:04
  • Reply Brittany

OMG i need this. Having a toddler it’s been so hard to eat well and teach her to eat well. I will try some of these ideas! Thank you!

4 October 2018 at 05:13
  • Reply Vaibhav Mehta

Making my own chocolate bars. That is something I would like to try my hand at!!

4 October 2018 at 12:31
  • Reply Devyani Ray

Love the healthy version of the icecream. I am sure it tastes better than the original one!

4 October 2018 at 17:17
  • Reply Jack Marbida

Its an absolute thumbs up for me to attend to this articles. I love to see people giving their best to attend to wonderful and healthy meal for their family.

5 October 2018 at 01:55
  • Reply EMR Integration

Nice post to make your favorite meals healthy, this is very helpful for our health, thanks for sharing…

5 October 2018 at 07:30