Lifestyle

Breast Cancer Awareness Month: What do you need to know?

October breast cancer awareness month

1 in 8 women in the UK is diagnosed with breast cancer at some point in their life. This life-altering disease has become the most common form of cancer among females. Even just within this month, 5,000 more cases will be diagnosed. As we learn more about breast cancer, it has become clear that the earlier the cancer is detected, the better chance you have to beat it. Educating yourself about early detection and learning what exactly deserves the attention of a doctor is important. During this month of October, it is a perfect time to familiarize yourself with the facts and know exactly what you can do to help!

October is a breast cancer month awareness

Self-detection

As mentioned previously, early detection can potentially save your life during your diagnosis process. However, in a survey by Breast Cancer Care, they found that 33% of women aren’t checking themselves regularly. An excuse that some women expressed for not performing a self-check was simply not knowing how to do it. It can be tricky because symptoms go beyond just a lump in your breast. An easy way to remember when you’re due for a self-check would be using an app like the  Check Yourself! App. The app offers advice on what to look for and how to do it. Keep A Breast Foundation developed this helpful tool when realizing how many women were completely out of the loop when it comes to completing their self-exams. The app even includes a monthly reminder, step-by-step instructions, and important breast health information!

October breast cancer awareness

How can you support Breast Cancer Awareness Month?

• Attend a local event

Throughout October, there are countless local events to attend to show your support in the fight against breast cancer. Race For Life offers 5k events (walking and running!). Not only are they a healthy way to get out there and support, but you’ll also be joining thousands of empowering women helping to raise money in efforts to end cancer!

• Donate to a good cause

There are many opportunities to give back to this powerful community. Coca-Cola launched their baby pink cans of Diet Coke, where the revenue is donated to two charities; Breast Cancer Care and Breast Cancer Now. This helps fund research and also provides support to those affected. True&Co. is another company that strives to find a cure through their Bras To Fight Cancer campaign. Their selection of bras is well-loved by mastectomy patients because of their soft material that forms to their new bodies.

• Educate yourself and others

Educating others may be the most beneficial way to support this cause. Social media has now set us up with the most serviceable platforms to further this important conversation. Sharing a random fact a day throughout the month with the hashtag #BreastCancerAwareness can be a way to enlighten others. Following accounts that strive to inform the public are also great ways to educate yourself. These accounts can even help you locate those local events that give back!

Comment below with what you are making a priority this Breast Cancer Awareness month.

Previous Post

• Reply Divya Goal

Thanks for sharing such info which is helpful…. i reached this blog 1st time and decided to come here regularly.

9 October 2018 at 06:27
  • Reply Evelyn Hernandez

Thank you for the awareness, breast cancer is real and we as women need to spread awareness.

10 October 2018 at 23:16
  • Reply Joan Cajic

Thank you for this,I should remember to be checking myself since I actually don’t even do.

11 October 2018 at 09:56
  • Reply Jessi Joachim

Self-checking is so important! There has been breast cancer in my family, so we try to do as much as we can to support the causes and stay healthy ourselves.
    Jessi Joachim recently posted…5 Easy Family Dollar Kitchen Hacks To Simplify Your LifeMy Profile

11 October 2018 at 14:09
  • Reply Jessica Taylor

Breast cancer awareness is extremely important to me! I try to convince my family to do self checks often.

11 October 2018 at 15:46
  • Reply Monidipa Dutta

Taking place annually throughout the month of October, Breast Cancer Awareness Month aims to raise awareness about the disease and raise funds for research into its cause, prevention, diagnosis, treatment, and cure.
    Monidipa Dutta recently posted…Say No to SuicideMy Profile

11 October 2018 at 18:22

This is so important to keep in mind. I do need to go in and be checked. I always want to be safe. I do hope one day there is a cure.

11 October 2018 at 19:25
  • Reply Gavin

Great read!! My wife used to work in a cancer hospital in NY so our family is very aware of all risks – this is great for people who aren’t. Well written!

11 October 2018 at 20:37
  • Reply Jack Marbida

I recently learned that my friend Rica had a breast cancer detected to be 4th stage already and it was too late for her and her partner. Right now, I had my wife alerted and regularly check up for her breast. Thanks fro posting this awareness.

11 October 2018 at 23:56
  • Reply stacey

Having a scare a few years ago has made me a wiser woman. We all need to be more vigilant with our own self care.

12 October 2018 at 01:30
  • Reply Heather

I actually just asked my dr. about having a mammogram and was shocked when he told me that I shouldn’t do it for another 10 years or so.
    Heather recently posted…This Call “May Be” Monitored and/or Recorded for Quality AssuranceMy Profile

12 October 2018 at 02:11
  • Reply Brittany Vantrease

Surprisingly, I learned how to check in High school health class. The teacher had a partial fake model breast that had a lump in it and we shown how to check. They had one for testicles too.

12 October 2018 at 16:25
  • Reply Carrie Lewis

Thanks for bringing this important Month to mind. As a cancer survivor, you can’t stress enough the importance of self-check and awareness. The tips on how to show support were also great reminders! Thanks again!
    Carrie Lewis recently posted…Tablets: The Inexpensive Solution To Organize Your Life!My Profile

12 October 2018 at 18:11
  • Reply Sam

This is such useful and important info for all of us to know. Thank you so much for sharing!

12 October 2018 at 18:36
  • Reply Rikki Ridgeway

This is such an important topic, my mother had breast cancer and it is very scary and real. I try my best to do self-breast exams once a month, at least.

13 October 2018 at 16:39
  • Reply David Elliott

Anything to raise cancer awareness is so important. I have had family with breast cancer. And then having my brother in law die of cancer was just really hard to watch. I’m all for supporting those who suffer from it and doing what you can to improve people’s lives who suffer from it.

14 October 2018 at 02:30
  • Reply Stephanie Parrell

This is a great post for awareness. I check myself monthly and I think all women should.

15 October 2018 at 11:58
  • Reply Dalene Ekirapa

I participated in two campaings to do with beast canscer awareness in order to spread awareness on the issue of breast cancer. We also had check-ups done.

15 October 2018 at 15:15
  • Reply Devyani Ray

Get your examination done today! Very important. Thanks for the reminder.

15 October 2018 at 18:05
  • Reply Eddie Peter

Nice post, Thank you so much for sharing this useful information with us.
    Eddie Peter recently posted…Guideline for Periodontal TherapyMy Profile

15 October 2018 at 19:51
  • Reply Kiwi

I had a few family members died because of breast cancer. Thanks for sharing us reminders for early detection

15 October 2018 at 23:59
  • Reply Wanda Lopez

A very important topic. I have an order to get a mammogram done. Will have to schedule it soon. Being proactive is very important.

16 October 2018 at 17:21