Family Lifestyle

How to keep your kids busy when they are bored

What to do when your kids are bored

Did you know that kids complain about being bored 122 times a month – that’s 1,500 times a year? Possibly you know that because you are a parent. I bet it can be a huge challenge to keep your kids busy. Especially if they are interested in something for 5 or 10 minutes and after that, they are still bored. So what you should do? The easiest way is to give them a digital device or let them watch a TV. But it’s not the best solution.

New research has revealed that kids have been spending just 3 hours per day away from their screens, while only 31% of parents admitted to giving a bored child a digital device to keep them occupied.

It’s important that we continue to develop core skills such as drawing and writing.  Dr Martin Stephen said that drawing and writing with a pen aren’t old-fashioned and out-dated – they’re proved state-of-the-art and affordable boosters to the child’s body and brain: the ultimate fertiliser for the imagination.

Imagination is a key

When your kid is bored

I love my son’s imagination. I’m happy when he is creating stories which are super unrealistic but for him it’s normal. Or when he draws a straight line and try to persuade me that it’s a big plane. Yes, he watches TV but mostly we try to do different things with him. Drawing, reading books, singing, playing with all his toys. He loves to spend time with us and I don’t mind. I think it’s something that every parent should do.

Obviously when I need to keep him busy during a flight or long road trip the easiest way for me is to give him a tablet with his favourite cartoons or rhymes. Also, when I need to prepare a dinner or clean a house I do not hesitate to give him a screen time. But as Dr. Martin Stephen said: ‘It’s all about getting a good balance. Creativity can be encouraged via digital games but it’s important that we continue to develop core skills such as drawing and writing as it’s been proven that these skills aid creativity and imagination.’

What about screen time?

What’s goof very often parents are keen to see kids move away from digital distractions; with two-thirds (65%) feeling guilty about the amount of screen time that their children have. Just 14% of parents claim it’s natural for modern children to spend time with screens.

While the go-to forms of entertainment for children include watching TV (68%), playing with a tablet/iPad (61%) and watching YouTube (60%), parents tend to favour more traditional pastimes.

How parents banish their children’s boredom:

1. Playing board games with them (42%)
  2. Putting on the TV (40%)
  3. Providing a pen and paper for drawing/writing (39%)
  4. Handing them a book to read (34%)
  5. Providing a tablet/iPad (31%)
  6. Cooking with them (26%)
  7. Going to the zoo or park (24%)
  8. Putting on a games console (20%)
  9. Taking them to a friend’s house (17%)
  10. Playing imaginary games with them (17%)
  11. Going to the cinema or theatre

Creativity is a must

When your kid is bored

The statistics emerged in a study by BIC® KIDS as part of its Young Artist Award, which celebrates the creativity of children from across the country by taking children’s artwork beyond the fridge door and onto public billboards.

Rebecca Huda, BIC® UK and Ireland’s Product Manager – Stationery, comments: ‘It’s challenging to consider boredom as a positive thing, but I think we’re all aware that taking a bit of time away from constant noise and activity, has a positive effect. It’s good to be able to let the mind wander and through our competition, we’ve seen that kids in the UK have amazing imaginations’.

So, let them be whoever they want. Your kid wants to be a superhero? No problem. Does he want to pretend you are wizards? Go for it. Crafting, drawing, reading, painting and pretending are the best way to stop being bored and become more creative.

Disclosure: This is a collaborative post

• Reply Konstantina Antoniadou

Great tips! I remember myself doing a lot of activities like drawing, playing board games, dancing, watching tv etc. I think it was all a trick to keep me busy hahahha. It worked!

5 December 2018 at 21:21

Yup, luckily my kids love to draw, so they do that sometimes. Or I’ll tell them to read.

6 December 2018 at 00:49
  • Reply Jessica Taylor

We love doing arts and crafts when we are bored! Love seeing their creativity

6 December 2018 at 01:26
  • Reply Lauren Floyd

My son turns 1 year old in a few days, and we have tons of crayons and crafting goods on our birthday list for him. I want him to explore and create all day long.

6 December 2018 at 01:32
  • Reply Candace

Great tips! Kids tend to get bored easily and its totally understandable since the have all the energy of the world lol I used to get bored when I was a kid and my mom always had some sort of craft to do with me. I loooved doing crafty stuff, I still do. I also loved painting in coloring books and playing with my neighbors.

Candace
    Candace recently posted…The Perfect Holiday Gift Basket for the Coffee or Tea AddictMy Profile

6 December 2018 at 02:18
  • Reply Alexandra

Some great tips! I don’t have kids, but I will definitely share this post with some of my friends who do. I am sure they will appreciate it!

6 December 2018 at 02:20
  • Reply Scott Gombar

I have found it’s good for them to be bored some times. This gives them the chance to be creative on their own. Though the words “I’m bored” drive me crazy.

6 December 2018 at 02:48
  • Reply Summer Mitch Ryan

I, myself is so guilty of giving my kids a lot of time glued on the screen. My husband and I are planning of doing some drastic changes in our house, screen time is number one.

6 December 2018 at 06:42
  • Reply Aditya Tiwari

This is why today kids should do some activity instead of using gadgets and you perfectly explained the concept. Let them be as few people said to me or make them busy with drawings, games or casual party games (which I write about) or you know anything. Give them gadget at the age of 12, at least that’s what I think.

6 December 2018 at 08:44
  • Reply Tara Pittman

It is good for kids to be bored. My boys usually go outside to play when they are bored.

6 December 2018 at 17:52
  • Reply Lauren C

Screen time can be so scary if you think about it. The day of technology is here for sure along with our dwindling attention spans

6 December 2018 at 23:15
  • Reply Sundeep

Yes, drawing is the best thing for kids if they getting bored by daily routine my niece always love to do that.

7 December 2018 at 11:02
  • Reply Kris McDonald

Great ideas. I work in IT, so I tend to be more lax about screen time as long as it does not seem to have a negative effect.

8 December 2018 at 14:23
  • Reply Mommy Sigrid

So true. We try to veer the kids away from gadgets so we keep them busy with other things, especially when we are in restaurants! My little girl especially can be a handful.

8 December 2018 at 16:01
  • Reply What Corinne Did

I remember when I was a kid, whenever I was getting bored, my parents were providing me with books, meaning that i was actually never bored!

8 December 2018 at 19:02
  • Reply Kristyn Nealey

Love these ideas. Simple but yet a great way to stimulate their brains. Although, we don’t have kids yet, I’d definitely share this with my niece who has two little munchkins.

9 December 2018 at 22:39
  • Reply Keshia Richmond

How to keep my kids busy when they were bored was never an issue. They need to learn how to entertain themselves. And if they are bored. It means they are boring so I raised them to Entertain themselves. At least that was my approach. Good luck.

9 December 2018 at 23:20
  • Reply Mumwrites

This is something a lot of parents struggled with, keeping the kids from being bored and keeping them away from screens. It is definitely challenging to always pique their interest and do other things other than playing games and watching videos. Art materials are rather handy and we absolutely love these new coloring stuff from BIC.

10 December 2018 at 07:21
  • Reply blair villanueva

Coloring books guaranteed to make kids busy and creative! This also makes them to gain friends 😀
    I also love coloring books even I’m an adult.

11 December 2018 at 03:30
  • Reply aisasami

Great post, though I do believe that kids should be bored to find creativity. We can give them to the tools but it is up to them to use them,

11 December 2018 at 14:24