Hints and tips Lifestyle

Simple ways to manage your blood pressure

how to control your blood pressure

What is blood pressure

I would like to talk a little bit about blood pressure problems. It’s a really important topic for me because we have a family history of blood pressure disorders. My Mom and my younger brother have high blood pressure. Same as my mother in law. I think I’m the only one in the family who has a problem with low blood pressure. Not everyone can say what does blood pressure really means. So, when your heart beats, it pumps blood around your body to give it the energy and oxygen it needs. As the blood moves, it pushes against the sides of the blood vessels and the strength of this pushing is your blood pressure. As you can see it’s really important to keep your blood pressure on the proper level.

If you are not sure what pressure is good for your health you can check yours with the proper charts.

blood pressure

What kind of problem you can have?

how to control your blood pressure

So, basically, you have two blood pressure disorders: high blood pressure (hypertension) and low blood pressure (hypotension).

• Low blood pressure is a reading of 90/60mmHg or less. When you have a low blood pressure can feel sick, have dizziness and lightheadedness. Also, you can faint, being confused and have a blurred vision. Generally, when you feel weak you should check your pressure.
  • High blood pressure is considered to be 140/90mmHg or higher. It’s hard to notice symptoms that’s why is so important to check the pressure from time to time. Untreated high pressure can lead to serious problems such as heart attacks and strokes.

What to do to keep your pressure under control?

how to control blood pressure

There is a lot of simple ways to manage your pressure. You can easily reduce risk by eating healthy food, maintaining a healthy weight, exercise regularly, stop smoking and drinking too much alcohol. So, as you can see you can do it without any effort and without leaving your house. Mainly there are 7 steps that you should follow:

1. Healthy diet– What does it mean? You should cut down on the amount of salt in your food and eat plenty of fruit and vegetables. Also, you should start to eat low-fat products that include lots of fiber – such as wholegrain rice, bread, and pasta.
  2. Limit your alcohol intake– men and women are advised not to regularly drink more than 14 units a week. Pus you should spread your drinking over 3 days or more if you drink as much as 14 units a week (NHS)
  3. Stop smoking– Smoking doesn’t directly cause high blood pressure, but it puts you at much higher risk of a heart attack and stroke. Why’s that? Because smoking will cause your arteries to narrow.
  4. Lose weight- Being overweight forces your heart to work harder to pump blood around your body, which can raise your blood pressure.
  5. Exercise regularly– Exercising can lower your blood pressure by keeping your heart and blood vessels in good condition. Plus your body looks better and you can lose weight so win win 🙂
  6. Say goodbye to caffeine! – Drinking more than 4 cups of coffee a day may increase your blood pressure! Tea and coffee shouldn’t be your only drinks during a day.
  7. Sleep tight– If it’s possible you should take at least 6 hours of sleep a night. Long time sleep deprivation may raise your blood pressure.

Keeping your pressure on a healthy level shouldn’t be hard as long you will be able to follow those steps. Small changes can make a big difference. Did you ever have to be worried about your blood pressure?

• Reply leah

thank goodness I don’t smoke or drink but the other stuff I need to work on!

28 December 2018 at 01:31
  • Reply Heather

Since I became a Mom, my blood pressure has been all over the place. It also doesn’t help that I have anxiety.
    Heather recently posted…HOW TO MAKE PARTY PIZZAS W/ BAYS ENGLISH MUFFINSMy Profile

28 December 2018 at 01:51
  • Reply Marysa

My blood pressure is pretty good, but I do need to work on eating healthier. Thanks for the tips, I don’t usually think about blood pressure much.

28 December 2018 at 03:39
  • Reply Monidipa Dutta

Being a psychologist though I agree with you still I can’t let go of caffeine as I have an extremely hectic schedule and it keeps me going on. My blood pressure is 80:50

28 December 2018 at 06:06
  • Reply Jessi Joachim

High blood pressure runs in my family, so it is something I am careful to pay attention to. My biggest problem personally is too much caffeine but I have been cutting down on that.

28 December 2018 at 14:01
  • Reply Rachel

Great advice here. We all need to be careful how we manage our blood pressure and health so this is a very useful post.

28 December 2018 at 19:41
  • Reply Gladys Nava

Wow!This post is absolutely awesome! I am really glad to know all that from you. Thank you so much for this. We really need to care our health!

29 December 2018 at 03:50
  • Reply Elle (CleverlyChanging)

I recently shared an article on my blog about high blood pressure because of a conversation I had with my sister about it. She said a lot of people suffer from strokes around the holidays because of added stress and poor choices.

30 December 2018 at 14:56
  • Reply David Elliott

These are really good and easy ways to try to manage blood pressure. I really do need to do more about losing some weight this year. Going to have to work on it. 🙂

30 December 2018 at 18:30
  • Reply Bindu Thomas

I need to checkup my pressure level because I feel lightheadedness sometimes. Thanks for sharing the tips for regulating it also.

2 January 2019 at 05:02
  • Reply Emery Ocampo

Very informative! Thank you for sharing this, very informative and helpful! 🙂
    Emery Ocampo recently posted…TGP Gives Back Through Byaheng TGPagpagalingMy Profile

2 April 2019 at 10:23
  • Reply Anshul

This article is a good one. Quite an informative post.
    Blood pressure problems can be tricky to manage.
    A healthy lifestyle and a balanced diet is essential.
    Thanks for sharing!!

21 April 2019 at 12:01
  • Reply Holly Bird

Great tips! Having a healthy blood pressure is so important!

22 April 2019 at 21:00
  • Reply Dorothy Adamiak

This is simple and well written article. Sensible advice that anybody with high blood pressure should take into heart. From my experience weight loss is the most important factors out of the ones you mentioned
    Dorothy Adamiak recently posted…How a Ketogenic Diet Can Help Rheumatoid Arthritis PatientsMy Profile

30 August 2019 at 19:01