Family Hints and tips

How To Transition To A Toddler Bed

Tips for smooth transition to a toddler bed

If you’re reading this, you’ve probably started thinking about how to transition to a toddler bed from a crib.

This is a big step for your toddler and it’s important to have a plan to provide a smooth transition.

In this post, I will provide tips that helped make the transition easier for my twins. I was pleasantly surprised at how smoothly going from the crib to a toddler bed went. Especially since we were doing it with two toddlers at once.

Preparing For The Move To A Toddler Bed

Tips for transition to a toddler bed

To get ready I decided to use some of the same tactics I used for taking away our toddlers’ pacifiers in 3 days.

Two days before the big move I told our twin girls they were getting big and they didn’t need to sleep in a crib anymore. I repeated this again the next day.

It’s important that you don’t make a big deal about it when you tell your toddler. Just tell her once and leave it alone. If your child has questions, that’s fine, you can answer them. In my case there weren’t any questions, they just agreed with what I said.

The other preparation you will need is to make sure the bed is ready. If you are converting the crib to a toddler bed you will need to do this the day of the big move.

How To Transition To A Toddler Bed: Tips For The Big Day

Tips for transition to a toddler bed

1. Once it’s ready, show your toddler the bed she will be sleeping in. About an hour before bedtime is good.
  2. Keep everything else about bedtime the same. Follow your bedtime routine, make sure your child has the stuffed animal they like, etc.
  3. Establish a couple of bedtime rules. The #1 rule should be NO GETTING OUT OF BED.

What To Expect

In my house, the initial transition to a toddler bed was easier than I expected. However, things like getting out of bed and waking up too early started happening a few weeks after moving to a toddler bed.

I just wanted to mention this so you aren’t surprised if you easily get through the first week of the new bed and little issues start popping up later on.

Don’t worry though whether a sleep problem happens right away or pops up later just do the following. Be sure to stick to your guns for at least a few days or it will not work.

1. Set a rule to follow.
  2. If the rule is broken, have a consequence. For example, no TV or no stuffed animal at bed
  3. If the rule is followed, have a reward. Some examples could be a sweet treat to eat or an extra one on one time with mom or dad.

So, there you have it. My tips on how to transition your toddler to a bed. Good luck and I hope following these tips make it a smooth transition.

It’s a guest post from Jeanne Visser from Have Twins First

• Reply Roy

Never thought on the issue this way. Found it interesting.

26 March 2019 at 06:06
  • Reply ramzi

it is important to prepare the child in each step, so that he adapts more easily

26 March 2019 at 11:59
  • Reply Brittany Vantrease

My oldest decided for us when he was ready. He was 18 months old and had learned how to climb out if his crib. That was the night we had lowered it, but he still climbed out of it the next night too. Since we didn’t want him to get hurt, we just transitioned it to the toddler bed and that was that. It was kind of sad, actually.

27 March 2019 at 16:10
  • Reply Lyosha

I think it is one of the most complicated topics and moments for almost any parent. I think your tips as well any other are most welcome!
    Lyosha recently posted…MFW, day 3My Profile

27 March 2019 at 16:55
  • Reply Vivienne

I wish I was more assertive with my son about this when he was younger lol He was very excited when he received his own big bed and I got him bedding with this favorite characters, too! Except, he always wanted to crawl into my bed to sleep.. and I’d have to carry him back into his bed. Haha..

27 March 2019 at 22:40
  • Reply Samantha

I can’t wait to have kiddos some day! Will totally use these tips!

28 March 2019 at 19:09
  • Reply Njkinny

Such great tips. I am planning on getting my toddler transition to his own bed. He sleeps with me at present and these tips have come a most opportune time.

31 March 2019 at 16:20
  • Reply Bindu Thomas

I love your tips. This will really help many parents.

1 April 2019 at 05:20
  • Reply Sandra

This one’s a good tip in transitioning to a toddler bed! That reward system really does wonders, and I hope I can use this in the future when it comes to any transition for the kids!

1 April 2019 at 16:13
  • Reply Fatima Torres

I love how you’ve included establishing bedtime rules. If only more parents would follow suit. I think it’s important for kids to understand there are certain guidelines.

1 April 2019 at 23:02
  • Reply AFTER WEB

it is important to prepare the child at every stage to make it easier to adapt. However, it is very dependent on the child what character it has

6 August 2019 at 09:54