You will be sure to hear a lot of pregnancy beliefs and superstitions during your pregnancy. Some of them are weirder than another but when you hear many people repeat the same theories, it makes you wonder if there’s any truth in them.
So I’m here to solve that mystery 😉 I will try to explain in details most common pregnancy superstitions.
- Suffering from heartburn? It’s a sign of hairy baby. Surprisingly pregnancy hormones affect both heartburn and fetal hair growth. Most pregnant women are going to suffer through at least some level of heartburn, regardless of whether their kid comes out as bald as a coot or hairy as Chewbacca.
- If you don’t follow your cravings, the baby may suffer. How? If you will be denied the food you crave, your baby will be born with a birthmark in the shape of that food.
- Do you want to know your baby’s gender? Prepare yourself for ring test! How does it work? It can be performed with a wedding ring, pin or needle tied to a string or strand of hair. You should lie on your back and someone dangles the laden thread over your belly. If it swings in a circular direction, you’re having a girl. If it moves side to side, it’s a boy. Some people think it’s more accurate than scan…
- You should avoid funerals. Some people believe that during funeral some evil spirits can harm you or your baby.
- If you experience nausea it’s more likely you’re expecting a boy! There are people who believe the opposite, which is quite funny.
- The day of the week that your baby was born has a lot to say about his personality. Monday’s child is fair of face, Tuesday’s child is full of grace; Wednesday’s child is full of woe, Thursday’s child has far to go; Friday’s child is loving and giving, Saturday’s child works hard for its living.
- Is it bad luck to have your pram in your house before the baby is born. Old wives tale! What else can I say?
- Belly test to determine the gender of the baby. Some people say that if it’s a boy, the mother carries it low so the bump is nearer to her pelvis, and if it’s a girl, it’s high, closer to her breasts.
- Food can reveal your baby’s gender! If you want sour foods then you are having a girl; sweet foods mean it’s a boy!
- Do not wear leis or necklaces! It’s believed the loop could cause the child to get tangled with the umbilical cord.
I bet that every Mom has that strange voice in her head that keep saying ‘but, what if…?’ Doesn’t matter if you believe or not there is always a little bit of doubt.
Is there any other pregnancy superstition that you have heard or followed?