Time to change your parenting style
When I was pregnant I’ve got a book from my sister in law. It wasn’t a book for parents but for kids. I was really happy to have it. It was my baby’s first gift so I was curious what I can find inside this book. There are a lot of baby’s rhymes but also (what was a big surprise for me) something for adults. I found there 12 commandments for parents. When I was reading it for the first time I was in shock. I’ve started wondering if I will be able to follow these rules. They are really hard but I’ve decided that at least I will try. Now after 15 months of being a Mom I know I failed some of these commandments but still, I was able to fulfill most of them. I’m really proud of myself.
Are you ready to become a better parent? Let me introduce you 12 commandments for parents:
- Always show a respect for your child. Be kind to him. gentle and patient.
- Always react when your baby is crying. It’s often the only way to communicate a pain, his needs and emotions. When you show him compassion and that you understand him you teach him empathy.
- Respond to his physical and emotional needs.
- For the first 2-3 years try to raise your baby at home and by yourself.
- Talk with your baby as much as you can. Ask questions, read books, explain him everything that you see.
- Your baby should be active all the time so play with him especially on fresh air. It’s really important for his developing brain and body.
- When your baby is behaving badly do not shout, try to find a solution. Don’t take anger on your baby. Be his role model and teach him how to use words ‘thank you’ ‘I’m sorry’ ‘Please’ etc
- Remember that kids till their second birthday shouldn’t watch TV and use computers. And older kids shouldn’t do that for longer than 2 hours per day. It’s harmful to their physical and mental development.
- Accept your baby and support him. It helps to create his self-esteem.
- Make rules in your home. Clarify what is acceptable and what’s not.
- From the day your baby will be born till his 12th birthday read books to him for 20 minutes every day. It helps to raise a good, smart and happy baby.
- When you take care of your baby remember about your needs. Help and support from other people are really important for parents.
You are not the only one who failed
I can tell you I definitely failed on #8. My baby is not watching TV constantly but from time to time he looks on it. Also, #12 it’s hard for me. Very often I forgot about myself. I don’t sleep enough. I don’t remember when I had time to go out for a coffee with friends etc. But I’m not complaining. I knew that being a parent is not a piece of cake.
Let me know what do you think about these commandments. Do you follow any rules in your parenting?