5 things I miss about Christmas at Home

5 things I miss about Christmas at Home

I love Christmas because it’s the most magical time in a year. The lights, the music, the food, the joy- I adore it. But I will be not lying to you. For the last 7 years, it was also a hard time for me. I live abroad far away from my whole family. So, I really enjoy Christmas but it also reminds me of a few things I miss the most on that holiday time.

1. My family– I really miss my Mom and my siblings. It was always a joy to spend Christmas with them. I could feel that Holiday atmosphere and now without them it’s quite hard. It really sacks.5 things I miss about Christmas at Home I will be no hiding that I’m crying, a little bit, a few days before Christmas because I can’t have Christmas with them. Everything that I do with my son for this Holiday reminds me of my own from my childhood. I’m sure that when I will get back to my country I will make a most epic Christmas Eve supper ever 😛

2. Our family traditions– I definitely miss our little traditions like sitting in our PJs on the sofa and watch Christmas movies.5 things I miss about Christmas at Home There was no Christmas without ‘Home alone’. Also, some people in central Poland say that at midnight the animals can talk. So, we always waited for it but never had a chance to talk with any animal:P But tradition is tradition:)

3. Food– In Poland, we had a tradition that during Christmas Eve supper you should find on the table 12 dishes. They, are meant to give you good luck for the next 12 months.5 things I miss about Christmas at Home The meal is traditionally meat-free, this is to remember the animals who took take of the baby Jesus in the manger. Can you imagine delicious 12 dishes? I don’t know how to make some of them. Especially when I need to work on Christmas Eve and day before I have no time to prepare proper supper I may just order some ready meals for eg from Amazon. So I really miss them 😛

4. Christmas Eve midnight Mass with my old friends– That was always the best part of Christmas Eve. I and my friends had so much fun and we thought we are grown-ups because we could wait till midnight and go out! Of course with adult assistance but who cares! 🙂5 things I miss about Christmas at Home Anyway, it was a big wow because the church was always beautiful inside: lots of lights, candles, flowers, big trees, and Christmas music.

5. Christmas market in my hometown– Our market town looks amazing during Christmas time.5 things I miss about Christmas at Home You are able to buy so many beautiful things like homemade ornaments, food. There is a carousel for kids and you can spend a wonderful time with the whole family.

Don’t take me wrong I’m grateful for what I have. It was my decision to move to a different country and my decision to start here my life and new little family. Now together with our son, we can create our own traditions. I’m more than happy when I can put up the tree with my little boy and decorate with him Christmas cookies. Or do some Christmas DIY like our little Christmas tree. Plus some alcoholic beverage helps to forget a little bit about my suffering 😛

Share with us things with you miss the most when you are away from home for the Christmas holiday.

Oh yes, it’s always tough to be away from home. It was like this for my husband and I since we’re a military family and always moving.
    Amber Myers recently posted…Books That I Loved In 2019My Profile

24 December 2019 at 01:56
  • Reply Natalie

Oh, I am Polish too! We will be celebrating Wigilia tomorrow. I hope you still have a wonderful time despite not being home for Christmas.

24 December 2019 at 02:28
  • Reply Tara Pittman

I love that the dishes are meat free. That is a tradition that I would love to follow.

24 December 2019 at 03:09
  • Reply Krysten

I struggle with Christmas sometimes. When I was growing up my Christmas was filled with my loud, crazy extended family. These day they’re much quieter. I still love them, they’re just different.

24 December 2019 at 03:27
  • Reply Lisa at Midwest Glam

That’s tough. I live pretty far from my family too. I’ve since started new traditions while incorporating some of the old. It’s different, but change can be good.
    Lisa at Midwest Glam recently posted…The worst of 2019My Profile

24 December 2019 at 06:42
  • Reply Marie Phillips

I’m sorry that you will be missing another Christmas at home. But keeping your Polish holiday traditions alive and sharing them with your kids is hopefully helpful! (I did not know that about the animals!)
    Maybe you could start a fund? A small amount of money weekly could allow you to get back home in a year or two! At least it wouldn’t be 7 years! I hope you are able to get back soon.
    Marie Phillips recently posted…How to Hook Your Students Instantly: the Anticipatory SetMy Profile

24 December 2019 at 12:39
  • Reply Chinenye

I know how you feel. I’m also away from my family and it sucks. I miss them so much. I’m now learning to start my own traditions with my family here. Change is inevitable.

24 December 2019 at 15:23
  • Reply Chinenye

I know how you feel. I’m also away from my family and I miss them so much especially at Christmas. I’m now trying to start my own traditions with my family. Change is inevitable.

24 December 2019 at 15:25
  • Reply Alvern

Oh dear, so sorry that you miss spending a Polish Christmas with your family. In 2016 I decided to have a traditional Christmas back home with family after 15 years of not having one. Maybe plan to visit home one Christmas in the next few years. Don’t wait for 15 years as I did.

24 December 2019 at 16:54
  • Reply Candace Hampton

I totally get you! I’m also grateful for everything that I have, but I also miss my family. I remember Christmas day when I was a kid. It was magical.

24 December 2019 at 20:46
  • Reply Eloise

I understand! I’d miss the same things as you if I weren’t home for the holidays; esp Christmas! I love traditions and my family.

24 December 2019 at 21:02
  • Reply Ewa

I think I can relate… I have been living abroad for the past 16 years and Christmas really makes me miss home… BTW I am from Poland too 🙂

24 December 2019 at 22:10
  • Reply Monica

I miss everyone gathering at my grandma’s house. It’s hard when you have to be away from your family or things change.
    Monica recently posted…Show Them That Big Dreams Really Do Come TrueMy Profile

25 December 2019 at 02:53
  • Reply Debbie

Not being home for the holidays can be difficult, that is for sure.

26 December 2019 at 00:12