How to Limit Your Kid’s Screen Time

Limit screen time

When we were younger, we used to fight with our siblings over TV shows to watch. But now, kids have free reign when it comes to controlling their screen time. Why? Because most of the kids nowadays have their own gadgets. They can watch as many shows in as many screens as they can, whenever and wherever.

While it is true that technology brings about convenience and a slew of perks, kids can greatly benefit if they spend less time with their gizmos. Did you know that school-age kids should only spend two hours at most with a screen daily? This is so they can practice focus which is much needed in the classroom.

In addition to that, kids with limitless screen time are at risk of obesity and insomnia. Furthermore, they miss out on playing outside, making friends, and learning new things.

Having said that, we’d like to share with you the things that you can do to trim down your child’s exposure to screens.

How To Cut Back

With the abundance of screens, it is honestly difficult to cut back screen time. But let me tell you that the struggle of limiting them will be worth it. Take note of the tips below so you can finally separate them from their prized gadgets…no matter how fleetingly that may be.

1. Take the lead. Children take a cue from their parents so you need to set a good example. If they see you that you spend much time on your phone, kids will think that this behavior is okay so they will copy you. Instead of burying your face on your screen, try interacting with your kids.
Or better yet, you can show them that you are reading a book, or playing sports so that they will imitate you.

2. Don’t buy them gadgets. Cellphones and tablets are not supposed to be replacements for actual human interaction. They are not great babysitters either. Instead, talk to your kids and spend some time with them. Be involved with their lives and take an active interest in their hobbies.

3. Explain. Being a parent means that you need to make decisions that can and might make them hate you – limiting screen time, for instance. Explain to them why you are doing this and how this can help them in the future. Set clear and consistent rules so that the children know that you are serious in the implementation.
There will also be times when your children will question you. They will compare and wonder why their friends don’t have limits. You have to prepare for this as this is your chance to explain that your family’s values are different from theirs. Don’t get tired of explaining, too.

4. Put your TVs and computers in a public area. This will help you keep an eye on what they watch and play, and cut back their time if they have exceeded the allocated limit.

5. Let your kids get bored. This way, they will be more creative in thinking ways to cure their boredom. You can supply them with art materials, toys, or maybe teach them a few skills such as cooking. You’ll see that they will eventually stick to those activities than face the screen.

These are just a few of the many ways that you can do to limit your kid’s screen time. I know that this is easier said than done, but I assure you that this is a fight worth fighting. You just need to start it. Good luck.

Thanks for that guest post from Elkyra Park who is a first-time mom who can no longer count how many baby products she has reviewed for her sanity and her son’s sake. She discusses the realities of parenthood and how to gracefully cope with the struggles over at easyparentinghacks

• Reply Cristina Petrini

It is a very important thing to do and I rely on my experience as a child, which is not from centuries ago (I’m from 1988).
    I watched TV an hour in the morning, another maximum two hours in the afternoon and the rest of the time was dedicated to homework and also being with other people to play and talk. In the evening I was still given a few hours in the company of my parents.

20 January 2020 at 08:55
  • Reply Scott Gombar

We do limit our kids to no more than 2-3 hours of screen time on off days. They are not allowed screen time other than homework when there is school. It’s not always easy but it is necessary for their health.
    Scott Gombar recently posted…11 Steps to Mitigate the Risk of Phishing AttacksMy Profile

20 January 2020 at 14:44
  • Reply Krysten

I really wonder about this with my nephew and I’m hoping we can give him more healthy options besides just watching TV. Thanks so much for sharing this with all of us!

20 January 2020 at 17:36

My daughter loves her phone, but she at least will go outside and dance. My son? Yeah, he’s 17 and it’s trickier.
    Amber Myers recently posted…Unboxing The January Kawaii YumeTwins Box From JapanMy Profile

20 January 2020 at 17:51
  • Reply Joanna

Preventing is the best way of dealing with too much screen time, and that starts with not buying children too many gadgets, you are right. Encouraging children to go outside and play by explaining why it not ok to look into a screen the entire day is also very important.
    Joanna recently posted…Top 5 Journeys by Train Around EuropeMy Profile

20 January 2020 at 18:49
  • Reply Cindy Ingalls

Great tips, my 14 yr old niece is attached to her phone. When she’s with me, I try to do activities with her so she puts it down!
    Cindy Ingalls recently posted…Jouer Rose Cut Gems Blush and Cheek Topper PaletteMy Profile

21 January 2020 at 02:35
  • Reply Marie Phillips

It is very hard for me to limit screen time when I work long hours. And most of my kids are older so it is harder to keep them away when that is what everybody their age does. But we still address it nearly every day and try to work around it.
    Marie Phillips recently posted…Classroom Culture: How Do Your Students Feel?My Profile

21 January 2020 at 04:27
  • Reply Fransic verso

I think we always want to entertain the kids and in someway, its not good for them. Great tips, sharing it with friends.

21 January 2020 at 09:39
  • Reply Amber Dickison

I don’t have children, but I do remember my mom being very strict with me in terms of how long I could watch TV each day. I do wonder when I’m a parent how will it be for me, especially if I am too busy, will I allow more screen time for my kids?

21 January 2020 at 13:11
  • Reply Nyxie

I think simply not buying them is the easiest fix, but then I suppose it’s difficult to do so because you may have a tablet yourself that they want to use. In that case, it should be a case of not allowing them in the bedroom at night before bed, and having some sort of timed child lock which I have saw advertised on the app store on numerous occasions.

21 January 2020 at 16:03
  • Reply Amarajakobsen

Oh you definitely have helpful tips listed here, and I cannot wait to try them on my daughter. Thanks

21 January 2020 at 17:26
  • Reply Alvern

It really does depend on the age of your children. My kids are older, one adult and one late teen so at this stage, it is all about encouraging them to respect their precious time and showing them how other parts of their lives suffer.

21 January 2020 at 17:46
  • Reply Janay

This is so interesting and informative! All parents should read this. It was hard limiting my sons screen time but he was addicted

22 January 2020 at 04:08