I tend to think of pumpkins primarily as Jack-o’-lanterns and a symbol of Halloween. I was quite surprised that some people call that fruit a ‘superfood’. You can think that I’m crazy but I used to put everything that was in our pumpkin to the bin. For me, it was always about carving.
So, one day my friends at work were talking about pumpkin soup, pumpkin cake/muffins. They talked about lots of benefits from eating pumpkin. When I came back home I checked on the Internet everything about that fruit. I wanted to know why eating it is so good for our health. And it turns out that there are too many health benefits of pumpkin to ignore it.
Here you have 5 (for me) the main reasons why you should buy and eat pumpkins even when Halloween is over.
- Can support your weight loss- It’s a good source of fiber, which may suppress your appetite. You can eat it as much as you want and still you consume only fewer calories. It sounds like a dream for me.
- Prevent cancer- Pumpkins are packed with antioxidants, and eating them often may help reduce the risk of many types of cancer. Also, the beta-carotene in pumpkins may play a huge role in preventing cancer.
- Support your heart health- A healthy diet can modify the risk of stroke, specifically potassium intake. And if you don’t know yet that big fruit is a great source of potassium. Which, also have a positive effect on blood pressure
- Good for eye health- Pumpkin is rich in vitamins and minerals. Its nutrients and antioxidants may protect your eyesight. Beta-carotene, as well as vitamins C and E, can help protect eyes and reduce the risk of age-related eye diseases.
- Support immunity- Eating pumpkin can helps your body fight infections and viruses. Thanks to the large shot of vitamin A the fruit provides. Pumpkin oil even helps fight various bacterial and fungal infections.
What else you need to know? That fruit is relatively low in calories, as it’s 94% water. For example, one cup of cooked pumpkin (245 grams) contains only 49 calories and 0.2 grams of fat. So, mix it with other fruit and vegetables. You can prepare your own pumpkin spice latte, cocktails, puree, butter and many many more.
Let us know if pumpkin is the main fruit in your kitchen during Autumn.