I love Christmas because it’s the most magical time in a year. The lights, the music, the food, the joy- I adore it. But I will be not lying to you. For the last 7 years, it was also a hard time for me. I live abroad far away from my whole family. So, I really enjoy Christmas but it also reminds me of a few things I miss the most on that holiday time.
1. My family– I really miss my Mom and my siblings. It was always a joy to spend Christmas with them. I could feel that Holiday atmosphere and now without them it’s quite hard. It really sacks. I will be no hiding that I’m crying, a little bit, a few days before Christmas because I can’t have Christmas with them. Everything that I do with my son for this Holiday reminds me of my own from my childhood. I’m sure that when I will get back to my country I will make a most epic Christmas Eve supper ever 😛
2. Our family traditions– I definitely miss our little traditions like sitting in our PJs on the sofa and watch Christmas movies. There was no Christmas without ‘Home alone’. Also, some people in central Poland say that at midnight the animals can talk. So, we always waited for it but never had a chance to talk with any animal:P But tradition is tradition:)
3. Food– In Poland, we had a tradition that during Christmas Eve supper you should find on the table 12 dishes. They, are meant to give you good luck for the next 12 months. The meal is traditionally meat-free, this is to remember the animals who took take of the baby Jesus in the manger. Can you imagine delicious 12 dishes? I don’t know how to make some of them. Especially when I need to work on Christmas Eve and day before I have no time to prepare proper supper I may just order some ready meals for eg from Amazon. So I really miss them 😛
4. Christmas Eve midnight Mass with my old friends– That was always the best part of Christmas Eve. I and my friends had so much fun and we thought we are grown-ups because we could wait till midnight and go out! Of course with adult assistance but who cares! 🙂 Anyway, it was a big wow because the church was always beautiful inside: lots of lights, candles, flowers, big trees, and Christmas music.
5. Christmas market in my hometown– Our market town looks amazing during Christmas time. You are able to buy so many beautiful things like homemade ornaments, food. There is a carousel for kids and you can spend a wonderful time with the whole family.
Don’t take me wrong I’m grateful for what I have. It was my decision to move to a different country and my decision to start here my life and new little family. Now together with our son, we can create our own traditions. I’m more than happy when I can put up the tree with my little boy and decorate with him Christmas cookies. Or do some Christmas DIY like our little Christmas tree. Plus some alcoholic beverage helps to forget a little bit about my suffering 😛
Share with us things with you miss the most when you are away from home for the Christmas holiday.