If you’re reading this, you’ve probably started thinking about how to transition to a toddler bed from a crib.
This is a big step for your toddler and it’s important to have a plan to provide a smooth transition.
In this post, I will provide tips that helped make the transition easier for my twins. I was pleasantly surprised at how smoothly going from the crib to a toddler bed went. Especially since we were doing it with two toddlers at once.
Preparing For The Move To A Toddler Bed
To get ready I decided to use some of the same tactics I used for taking away our toddlers’ pacifiers in 3 days.
Two days before the big move I told our twin girls they were getting big and they didn’t need to sleep in a crib anymore. I repeated this again the next day.
It’s important that you don’t make a big deal about it when you tell your toddler. Just tell her once and leave it alone. If your child has questions, that’s fine, you can answer them. In my case there weren’t any questions, they just agreed with what I said.
The other preparation you will need is to make sure the bed is ready. If you are converting the crib to a toddler bed you will need to do this the day of the big move.
How To Transition To A Toddler Bed: Tips For The Big Day
- Once it’s ready, show your toddler the bed she will be sleeping in. About an hour before bedtime is good.
- Keep everything else about bedtime the same. Follow your bedtime routine, make sure your child has the stuffed animal they like, etc.
- Establish a couple of bedtime rules. The #1 rule should be NO GETTING OUT OF BED.
What To Expect
In my house, the initial transition to a toddler bed was easier than I expected. However, things like getting out of bed and waking up too early started happening a few weeks after moving to a toddler bed.
I just wanted to mention this so you aren’t surprised if you easily get through the first week of the new bed and little issues start popping up later on.
Don’t worry though whether a sleep problem happens right away or pops up later just do the following. Be sure to stick to your guns for at least a few days or it will not work.
- Set a rule to follow.
- If the rule is broken, have a consequence. For example, no TV or no stuffed animal at bed
- If the rule is followed, have a reward. Some examples could be a sweet treat to eat or an extra one on one time with mom or dad.
So, there you have it. My tips on how to transition your toddler to a bed. Good luck and I hope following these tips make it a smooth transition.
It’s a guest post from Jeanne Visser from Have Twins First