What not to wear!
It’s important to stay active for the whole year. But it can be quite challengeable especially during cold and wet weather. There is always one question ‘What I should wear?’ I have an answer for it but I don’t want to give it to you straight away. So we will start from the easier part and will see what you should NOT to wear. Obviously big NO for denim jeans they are definitely not comfortable when you need to run, exercise, jump etc. Shorts are good only in very hot weather in another way you should avoid them. Skirts. I don’t need to explain it right? Did you see anyone hiking in a skirt? Me neither. High heels. Yes, even if you love them you can’t wear them during your activities. Of course, as long as you don’t want to break your legs.
Your ‘must’ have for outdoor activities
So, now we can think about the clothes which you should wear if you want to feel comfortable during outdoor activities.
- A pair of leggings or running tights underneath a pair of shorts, or some tracksuit bottoms will keep your legs warm.
- Long sleeved tops
- Lots of layers as the weather can be notoriously changeable. A waterproof jacket is also essential and waterproof trousers are recommended
- Sturdy shoes with a good grip (trainers, walking shoes etc)
Also, a pair of gloves and a hat or fleece headband are a good idea to stop you losing heat from your head and hands.
The most important rule you need to stick to is the layer system
When choosing your layers, remember your body heats up during activities so when you start you should be slightly cool. Take a look how layer system should look like.
- A base layer: the first layer, such as a breathable synthetic fabric to draw the sweat away from your skin. It shouldn’t be made from cotton because it soaks up moisture and takes time to dry and may make you feel cold.
- A mid layer: such as a fleece to keep the warmth in and remove any moisture from the base layer.
- An outer layer: such as a light water-resistant jacket: to expel moisture and protect you from the wind and rain. (NHS guidance)
High quality means satisfaction
If you still don’t know where or what clothes you should buy you can check our recommendations. As we got the opportunity to check how a layering system works and we could test some amazing and high-quality clothes. I was looking for warm women’s fleece
The fleece is constructed from recycled materials to create sustainable insulation, protecting you and the planet. And it keeps you reassuringly warm. It really does. I’m the person who always moans about being cold but I felt really warm and cosy in my Women’s North Face fleece
Also, you should remember about comfortable shoes. It’s a must for your outdoor activities. It’s good if you have waterproof shoes. I’ve never had before women’s walking boots
For me, they are perfect because they look good and I don’t need to be afraid of rain. Also, the durable leather fabric provides a hard exterior to shelter feet from rough terrains. So, they are also good for hiking. Those shoes prove that women’s walking boots
You need to take care of yourself
Be smart and choose wisely if you want to feel comfortable and safe during your outdoor activities. High-quality clothes and shoes are really important especially if you are taking your activities serious.
The benefit of using a layering system is that you can prepare for many eventualities that may arise. If the weather is nice before you start your outdoor activity you can pack your bag with clothing that can keep you warm and dry whilst wearing a base layer. You won’t overheat and if the temperature was to drop, or it started raining, you will always be prepared.
The brands included in this post asked for our opinion on the products featured from their range. All thoughts and opinions are our own.